Sponsored

Which drive mode do you prefer to drive in?

RunnerRocks

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
RedDog
Joined
Dec 15, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
425
Reaction score
281
Location
Nature
Vehicle(s)
2026 TRD ORP (non-hybrid)
Mostly Tow-Haul Mode for better response and shift strategy. (Try it, you'll like it)

Occasional Normal Mode on flatter open roads at higher speeds.

ECO ? Nothing about this vehicle is "ECO".

Fake noise (especially in Sport Mode) is awful. Disabled long ago with Carista.
Sponsored

 

josiahg52

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Josiah
Joined
Jun 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
286
Reaction score
145
Location
Maine, United States
Vehicle(s)
2026 Trailhunter, 2018 Ram 2500, 2001 BMW M5, 2001 BMW X5 35d
Same from new. 11K miles now. Its very consistent and predictable. Worst I get is 23.4MPG. It settles on 24.3MPG for normal mixed driving around town (with hills and traffic lights). On a longer drives 75 mph+ I get 26 mpg. No mods, airdam is on, no upgraded wheels or tires. No intake mods. Complete OEM stock. Its responsive too. I'll be at or above the speed limit on most trips. These numbers are also with A/C on in a hot climate. I should get slightly better when I don't use A/C.

If I run over 75, it does drop the MPG especially with hills.
Yes. I run the HVAC in AUTO at 70-72F, usually set the cruise between 55-65 mph. On a 100 mile or so trip, I averaged 26.6 by OBC and, as shown above, my OBC is actually a bit pessimistic. . .
 

wickncsu

TRD Off-Road Premium
Member
First Name
Wick
Joined
Mar 23, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
9
Reaction score
4
Location
Kure Beach NC
Vehicle(s)
2025 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off-Road
Same from new. 11K miles now. Its very consistent and predictable. Worst I get is 23.4MPG. It settles on 24.3MPG for normal mixed driving around town (with hills and traffic lights). On a longer drives 75 mph+ I get 26 mpg. No mods, airdam is on, no upgraded wheels or tires. No intake mods. Complete OEM stock. Its responsive too. I'll be at or above the speed limit on most trips. These numbers are also with A/C on in a hot climate. I should get slightly better when I don't use A/C.

If I run over 75, it does drop the MPG especially with hills.
Only difference I note is I took front airdam off - afraid it might get ripped off driving on beach. '25 4R TRD Off-Road turbo 4
Same from new. 11K miles now. Its very consistent and predictable. Worst I get is 23.4MPG. It settles on 24.3MPG for normal mixed driving around town (with hills and traffic lights). On a longer drives 75 mph+ I get 26 mpg. No mods, airdam is on, no upgraded wheels or tires. No intake mods. Complete OEM stock. Its responsive too. I'll be at or above the speed limit on most trips. These numbers are also with A/C on in a hot climate. I should get slightly better when I don't use A/C.

If I run over 75, it does drop the MPG especially with hills.
Only difference I note is I took front airdam off - afraid it might get ripped off driving on beach. '25 4R TRD Off-Road turbo 4.
 
OP
OP
TMLifer

TMLifer

Limited
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
172
Reaction score
83
Location
US
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Limited iForce Max Hybrid
I actually like the sound. I know it is fake, but i enjoy it. I wish my Tundra had it but it is an SR5 so it doesnt.
I stand corrected...the new Ford Mustangs also produce artificially generated engine noise within the cabin via the speakers.
 

RunnerRocks

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
RedDog
Joined
Dec 15, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
425
Reaction score
281
Location
Nature
Vehicle(s)
2026 TRD ORP (non-hybrid)
I stand corrected...the new Ford Mustangs also produce artificially generated engine noise within the cabin via the speakers.
Our previous 2020 Ford Ranger spewed obnoxious fake engine sounds from the speakers.
 

BonRunner

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
15
Messages
461
Reaction score
528
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2026 TRD Sport Premium / WCP
With OTT tuned on the engine, I drive in Normal 100% now. Throttle response is night/day from stock. Passing on hwy between 75-90mph is easy & effortless. No longer need to use TOW/HAUL to pass on the left.
 

SouthCoast

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
May 17, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
234
Reaction score
173
Location
Houston
Vehicle(s)
2025 4runner TRD ORP
Normal. Eco has shown to do absolutely nothing. Not concerned about the sport mode
 

Zeeke

TRD Sport Premium
Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
20
Reaction score
12
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
26 TRD PRO on Allocation
Normal. Eco has shown to do absolutely nothing. Not concerned about the sport mode
Sport really has nothing to do with sport but it does make the shift points much better and the throttle response a little better. Definitely a more enjoyable drive in sport on hills/mountains.
 
OP
OP
TMLifer

TMLifer

Limited
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
172
Reaction score
83
Location
US
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Limited iForce Max Hybrid
Sport really has nothing to do with sport but it does make the shift points much better and the throttle response a little better. Definitely a more enjoyable drive in sport on hills/mountains.
Agree, the Sport and Sport+ drive modes definitely makes for a much more fun and enjoyable drive.
 

Vincenzo

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
399
Reaction score
303
Location
Southeast
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Tow/haul. When I had the Tundra it made it feel like a completely different vehicle. The wife’s new IS gives you the ability to turn off the fake engine noise.
 

Gator 22

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 24, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
158
Reaction score
121
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2021 TRD Off Road
Sport really has nothing to do with sport but it does make the shift points much better and the throttle response a little better. Definitely a more enjoyable drive in sport on hills/mountains.
Yeah I think the map for sport can give you better gas mileage. See my post #23. Just a theory.
 

Zeeke

TRD Sport Premium
Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
20
Reaction score
12
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
26 TRD PRO on Allocation
Yeah I think the map for sport can give you better gas mileage. See my post #23. Just a theory.
I agree as there is no bog spot where I am giving it extra gas just to get some acceleration up a hill etc, and its not at a much higher rpm at all but the throttle response is there so im not wasting gas by being in the wrong gear and just bogging down. If I live at sea level on totally flat ground I think normal would probably be fine. I cant see any reason to ever use ECO, I think Toyota just did that to say they did that.
Sponsored

 
 







Top