Sponsored

Which drive mode do you prefer to drive in?

TMLifer

Limited
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
172
Reaction score
83
Location
US
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Limited iForce Max Hybrid
I have been driving conservatively in Eco and Normal drive modes during the engine break-in period. But now that my rig is beyond the break-in period, I recently tried the Sport and Sport+ drive modes and opened up the throttle a little more. OMG! Love the throttle response! The engine sound seems like it changes also (i.e., rougher sound or growling sound, more aggressive sounding). The steering and suspension feels like it is firmer and tightens. Sport and Sport+ drive modes are definitely my favorite drive modes. Though, I'll have to see what it does to fuel efficiency.
Sponsored

 
OP
OP
TMLifer

TMLifer

Limited
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
172
Reaction score
83
Location
US
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Limited iForce Max Hybrid
Is the artificially generated engine noise only within the cabin or outside of the vehicle? I haven't checked.
 

josiahg52

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Josiah
Joined
Jun 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
286
Reaction score
145
Location
Maine, United States
Vehicle(s)
2026 Trailhunter, 2018 Ram 2500, 2001 BMW M5, 2001 BMW X5 35d
ECO mostly, some NORMAL in certain circumstances, SPORT for some break-in and brake bedding sessions. The fake noise is absolutely terrible and cheap and hokey sounding and I will be disabling it. Thing is, I really don't notice a huge difference in SPORT, besides the noise. In ECO, the hybrid still produces plenty of get up and go which is why I have used it the most. It's also quieter. I haven't used SPORT enough to know, but ECO and NORMAL seem to offer nearly the same economy.
 
Last edited:

quadna71

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Sep 11, 2025
Threads
11
Messages
164
Reaction score
143
Location
Delaware
Vehicle(s)
2025 4runner
80% Normal, 19% Eco, 1% Sport (when needed for passing). Mine consistently gets 21.4mpg regardless of city, highway, normal, or eco.
 

HVLA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
791
Reaction score
580
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
I guess it depends on the person. But I like the engine noise that it generates in the Sport drive modes. I just would have preferred that it generate the engine noise outside of the vehicle. I think other manufacturers / models generate it outside of the vehicle like the Ford Mustang.
I actually like the sound. I know it is fake, but i enjoy it. I wish my Tundra had it but it is an SR5 so it doesnt.
 

quadna71

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Sep 11, 2025
Threads
11
Messages
164
Reaction score
143
Location
Delaware
Vehicle(s)
2025 4runner
I actually like the sound. I know it is fake, but i enjoy it. I wish my Tundra had it but it is an SR5 so it doesnt.
I prefer the sound being present primarily so I know it is in Sport. Occasionally my leg will twist the knob and switch me between the settings. If I'm just putting along on cruise control, I'd prefer knowing it is in Sport mode and drinking the gas faster and then I can flick it back to Normal. Having that audible indicator does just that for me.
 

rdibbxsh

TRD Off-Road Premium
Member
First Name
Randy
Joined
Jul 15, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
14
Reaction score
6
Location
TN
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
Ours just has 5000 miles and has been driven in just Eco or Normal modes. Curious about mileage differences.

We are in NE Tennessee, some mild hills, not much true freeway driving, but lots of 45 MPH roadways and our mileage is about 21.
 

Zeeke

TRD Sport Premium
Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
18
Reaction score
12
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
26 TRD PRO on Allocation
I live in the mountains, I use sport 100% of the time. The shift points are so much better. Still get 21mpg. (stays on 20.9 actually). Feel sorry for you guys using ECO as I tried it once and it was just dead spots everywhere I needed acceleration going up hills.
 

EricGoleta

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Eric
Joined
Dec 13, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
57
Reaction score
23
Location
Santa Barbara County, CA US
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Hybrid
I drive mostly in normal. Have tried ECO. My mileage isn't that good, maybe 18 city and freeway. I don't have a lead foot and don't speed. I'm disappointed on my mpg, it should be better. I upgraded with the Banks air box and turbo tubes to see if I could get an MPG bump. But still about the same. Upgrading with the Banks stuff did give me better turbo response.
 

HVLA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
791
Reaction score
580
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Ours just has 5000 miles and has been driven in just Eco or Normal modes. Curious about mileage differences.

We are in NE Tennessee, some mild hills, not much true freeway driving, but lots of 45 MPH roadways and our mileage is about 21.
19mpg is what dash says. Dont really care. Didnt buy it for mpg.
Sponsored

 
 







Top