Sponsored

Oil Change Interval. Yes I know it has been covered over and over. My two cents.

MikeK

Trailhunter
Well-known member
Joined
May 27, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
46
Reaction score
25
Location
Southern Nevada
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner
Great video! I have multiple vehicles, so they never reach the mileage intervals within the recommended timeframes.
Because of this, I change the oil every 6 months (full synthetic).
For an example, by TH that I got last October only has 3400 something miles on it, so it would take me over 2 years to reach 7500 miles.
 

BonRunner

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
15
Messages
444
Reaction score
516
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2026 TRD Sport Premium / WCP
Last edited:

Steveg203

Limited
Active member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Dec 20, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
35
Reaction score
25
Location
Connecticut
Vehicle(s)
2026 4 Runner limited
I change my oil every 6 months or 5k. I brought it in with 3500 miles and the dealer is like, why you bringing it in so early. I told them I'm not doing 10k oil changes, especially with a 4 cylinder turbo. I don‘t Have a problem paying for it. I had a Honda Passport and the dealer never questioned me about it.
 
OP
OP

ACJ

TRD Off-Road
Active member
Joined
Jan 7, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
32
Reaction score
22
Location
Portland Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2026 Toyota 4runner TRD Off-road i-force Max
Tjisi
If
I hate these type of videos that use AI to generate a reading script, paid stock footages & fancy animation.

No real human, real test or real result. Just something anyone can Google.
I
I have only had time to ask Google ai's opinion. It says it is a real study. I thought this was a pretty good ai presentation. To do an actual video like this would have required investors, producers, etc. It is not just care-care-nut saying to change every 5,000 max.
 

Nodak

Platinum
Well-known member
First Name
JR
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
67
Messages
2,747
Reaction score
1,557
Location
ND
Vehicle(s)
2026 4R Platinum Underground, 2025 4R Platinum Heritage Blue
you do you.

3000
4000
5000
7500
10,000
when the engine feels funny at 30k miles and it pours out like tar :ROFLMAO:

the answer will be all over the place. each person will pick their own poison on intervals.

i did 1200, 4k, 8k, 12k, 18k (just today about 30 mins ago)

next one will at 24k then 30k and after that every 5k.

the 26 i will do at 1k, 4k, then every 4k (she puts less miles on it than i do driving 35 miles every day vs her maybe 5 miles)
 

josiahg52

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Josiah
Joined
Jun 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
286
Reaction score
145
Location
Maine, United States
Vehicle(s)
2026 Trailhunter, 2018 Ram 2500, 2001 BMW M5, 2001 BMW X5 35d
Changing because of calendar time is almost pure waste. I sampled the oil in my M5 after seven years in the sump, hadnt been run except to warm it up before i changed it. It looked like oil with the less than 1000 miles it had on it, practically fresh, as Blackstone Laboratory stated it. I get it, different vehicle, different climate, different oil, but I remain convinced that calendar changes only make sense if your duty cycle just makes it simple to do it that way, but there is also the storage condition and engine peculiarities that must be considered.

For the 4Runner:

Changed at 1000
Changed at 2500
Currently 3400 miles driven.
Will change again at 5000
Then 10000
Then use the oil analyses to establish a reasonable OCI, maybe looking at another oil. 5000 will be the most unless analysis shows it's safe. Analyses provided by Blackstone.
 

josiahg52

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Josiah
Joined
Jun 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
286
Reaction score
145
Location
Maine, United States
Vehicle(s)
2026 Trailhunter, 2018 Ram 2500, 2001 BMW M5, 2001 BMW X5 35d
Tjisi

I hate these type of videos that use AI to generate a reading script, paid stock footages & fancy animation.

No real human, real test or real result. Just something anyone can Google.
Agreed. The video, the "study", the "amazing" conclusion is stupid and all created by AI, written by AI, read by AI, backed by AI images and moving pictures is trash. It contains nothing original at all. It takes the basic premise that 3000 oil changes as a rule are no longer (and probably never really were) explicitly required and turns it into 23 minutes of trash.
 

MikeK

Trailhunter
Well-known member
Joined
May 27, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
46
Reaction score
25
Location
Southern Nevada
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner
Agreed. The video, the "study", the "amazing" conclusion is stupid and all created by AI, written by AI, read by AI, backed by AI images and moving pictures is trash. It contains nothing original at all. It takes the basic premise that 3000 oil changes as a rule are no longer (and probably never really were) explicitly required and turns it into 23 minutes of trash.
3000 mile oil changes are no longer necessary with synthetic oil. That part is true.
The video even states that they were necessary back before synthetic oil and emissions controls were a thing, so how is it trash? It's stating facts.
Think about it. Engine technology and oil technology have vastly improved since 3k mile intervals were necessary.
 
Last edited:

josiahg52

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Josiah
Joined
Jun 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
286
Reaction score
145
Location
Maine, United States
Vehicle(s)
2026 Trailhunter, 2018 Ram 2500, 2001 BMW M5, 2001 BMW X5 35d
3000 mile oil changes are no longer necessary with synthetic oil. That part is true.
The video even states that they were necessary back before synthetic oil and emissions controls were a thing, so how is it trash? It's stating facts.
Think about it. Engine technology and oil technology have vastly improved since 3k mile intervals were necessary.
Which I never argued, though, I will now explicitly point out that I believe 3000 miles is and never was a universal old vehicle/old oil/old emissions standards requirement. It's trash because it takes well known premise and belief, let's AI loose on it to turns it into 23 minutes of drivel.
 

CO/ZA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
254
Reaction score
239
Location
Denver
Vehicle(s)
25 4R ORP
Only real answer you're going to get is going to come from a UOA via blackstone or others.

10k is fine for a daily driver.

5k is fine for a more extreme lifestyle, such as towing heavy, off roading, multiple short trips, etc.

The US moved to 10ppm sulphur fuel in 2021, which was a big contributor to fouling the oil and shortening lifespan.

E.g. here is an Arizona based Rav4 2.5 Hybrid on 0w-16:


Still had 3.8 TBN left after 10,000mi.

Do what makes you feel good, ultimately.
 
 







Top