- First Name
- Nick
- Joined
- Aug 25, 2025
- Threads
- 4
- Messages
- 130
- Reaction score
- 131
- Location
- Ft. Myers, FL
- Vehicle(s)
- 2025 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium. 2023 Ford F-150 Lariat
0w-8 will never be on a Turbo...until material science can catch upI had always thought break-in periods on modern engines did not need an oil change...this thread corrected me on that...changed my oil this weekend at 1000 miles. It was dark, but it did have some translucent look to it when pouring out. Did not notice any metallic look or material.
I also am now questioning my well-researched conclusion that the factory recommended oil is the best oil. While I hold to that, I have found discrepancies in what, in this case, Toyota is recommending for these 2.4 Turbos. I found an Australian Toyota document, Owner's Manual, that suggests 0W-30 is recommended, but 0W-20 for fuel economy. Toyota has even moved to 0W-8 in some other new models, though not our 6G 4Rs. I am beginning to think the 0-20 recommendation is based on CAFE standards here in the US, but devoid of that motivation, Toyota feels a heavier oil is better.
There was also an article on this. I think the video makes sense.Why U.S. Cars Use 0W-20 But the Same Engines Use 5W-30 Abroad (Mechanic Explains!)
I'm confused. Live in Florida. Still don't know what is the best oil to use.
I'm about the same age and have owned numerous Toyotas. I've never had an engine failure. Ever since Toyota went to 10,000 mile oil changes I do the first change change the oil at 5,000 miles and then every 10k after that. Turbo engine or not, they all get the same treatment. I usually keep them well past the 200k mark. Simply put I like not having to remember when the next change is due. 15k, 25k, 35k, etc.Pushing 60'years old and have had more new vehicles than I can actually remember. Never changed oil any more frequent that what the owners manual said to. I have never had engine problems in my vehicles, not once after all these years and vehicles. Folks should do what gives them piece of mind. It is their money after all. I will keep doing what I have always done as it has not failed me yet!!