Sponsored

Which drive mode do you prefer to drive in?

rosnaby

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
alex
Joined
Dec 25, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
76
Reaction score
32
Location
new jersey
Vehicle(s)
4runner trd off road premium hybrid
I dont really notice a thing between eco and normal, but the steering and suspension response of sport is very nice in my opinion. The fake engine noise sounds good but its fake so pretty lame, usually just stay in normal mode.
Sponsored

 

josiahg52

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Josiah
Joined
Jun 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
286
Reaction score
145
Location
Maine, United States
Vehicle(s)
2026 Trailhunter, 2018 Ram 2500, 2001 BMW M5, 2001 BMW X5 35d
I dont really notice a thing between eco and normal, but the steering and suspension response of sport is very nice in my opinion. The fake engine noise sounds good but its fake so pretty lame, usually just stay in normal mode.
Well, there's no change in the suspension on your ORP for sure.
 

EricGoleta

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Eric
Joined
Dec 13, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
57
Reaction score
23
Location
Santa Barbara County, CA US
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Hybrid
I may do the old fashion way to track mpg, start doing manually tracking when I fill up. I didn't buy the 4Runner because of mpg, but I did think I would get better on the road. I love the my silver girl, happy I bought it.
 

josiahg52

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Josiah
Joined
Jun 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
286
Reaction score
145
Location
Maine, United States
Vehicle(s)
2026 Trailhunter, 2018 Ram 2500, 2001 BMW M5, 2001 BMW X5 35d
I may do the old fashion way to track mpg, start doing manually tracking when I fill up. I didn't buy the 4Runner because of mpg, but I did think I would get better on the road. I love the my silver girl, happy I bought it.
I have been tracking since new, now at ~3500 miles using mostly ECO and just driving how I drive, nothing special:

Average of individual calculated tank MPG
22.42 MPG
Average of individual OBC MPG readings
22.27 MPG
Aggregate fuel economy — total miles ÷ total gallons
22.43 MPG
 

6thGen1419

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Peter
Joined
Sep 18, 2025
Threads
26
Messages
403
Reaction score
240
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium iForce Max
I have been driving conservatively in Eco and Normal drive modes during the engine break-in period. But now that my rig is beyond the break-in period, I recently tried the Sport and Sport+ drive modes and opened up the throttle a little more. OMG! Love the throttle response! The engine sound seems like it changes also (i.e., rougher sound or growling sound, more aggressive sounding). The steering and suspension feels like it is firmer and tightens. Sport and Sport+ drive modes are definitely my favorite drive modes. Though, I'll have to see what it does to fuel efficiency.
Almost always ECO mode, except for those fun times when I go into SPORT mode when I'm feeling sporty or those times I am in 4H or 4L.
 

Blackie1

Limited
Well-known member
First Name
Paul
Joined
Jun 9, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
46
Reaction score
31
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner
I tried Eco and Normal and mileage average is 22 Eco and 24 Normal.
 

Gator 22

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 24, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
158
Reaction score
121
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2021 TRD Off Road
I have a theory that if you are using ECO mode and giving it gas a bit harder you actually get worse mileage because of the shift points in that mode. Sport mode with the same applied pedal pressure shifts at higher rpm’s and is more efficient. Would explain the large discrepancies in mileage. ECO mode with lite inputs would probably be best milage.
 

rosnaby

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
alex
Joined
Dec 25, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
76
Reaction score
32
Location
new jersey
Vehicle(s)
4runner trd off road premium hybrid
Well, there's no change in the suspension on your ORP for sure.
Yeah not sure why i said suspension good point, its the steering and throttle response combined with the less clunky shifts that just give that “feeling”, especially on pavement. Offroad it is significantly easier to tell immediately there is no change in suspension if u stay in sport lol
 
OP
OP
TMLifer

TMLifer

Limited
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
172
Reaction score
83
Location
US
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Limited iForce Max Hybrid
I drive mostly in normal. Have tried ECO. My mileage isn't that good, maybe 18 city and freeway. I don't have a lead foot and don't speed. I'm disappointed on my mpg, it should be better. I upgraded with the Banks air box and turbo tubes to see if I could get an MPG bump. But still about the same. Upgrading with the Banks stuff did give me better turbo response.
I'm planning to tune and install the cold air intake in the near future. In the meantime, I'm still deciding on which cold air intake to install. But this subject is for a different discussion thread.
 

SteveS

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
107
Reaction score
72
Location
Puyallup, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5, 2023 Range Rover Sport
How? Im getting 18.9 mixed but mostly town in ECO mode. Not a lead foot.
Same from new. 11K miles now. Its very consistent and predictable. Worst I get is 23.4MPG. It settles on 24.3MPG for normal mixed driving around town (with hills and traffic lights). On a longer drives 75 mph+ I get 26 mpg. No mods, airdam is on, no upgraded wheels or tires. No intake mods. Complete OEM stock. Its responsive too. I'll be at or above the speed limit on most trips. These numbers are also with A/C on in a hot climate. I should get slightly better when I don't use A/C.

If I run over 75, it does drop the MPG especially with hills.
 
OP
OP
TMLifer

TMLifer

Limited
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
172
Reaction score
83
Location
US
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Limited iForce Max Hybrid
Eco and loving the 24.3 around town. 26 highway.
Haven't really driven it on the highway yet, just around town. I had been using Eco and Normal up until recently when began trying the Sport drive modes. Driving with Eco and Normal modes is surprisingly still indicating an average of 19.2 MPG overall. Though, I've noticed that it's gradually improving with individual trips around 20 to 22 MPG just driving around town. I was very surprised to see one trip it had indicated 27 MPG (Eco drive mode on that trip, in-town).
 
Last edited:
 







Top