Sponsored

Oil Change Interval. Yes I know it has been covered over and over. My two cents.

GSM4runner

TRD Off-Road Premium
Member
First Name
Geoff
Joined
Dec 26, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
20
Reaction score
9
Location
NoVa
Vehicle(s)
Corvette, FRS, Civic
what if Toyota had an engine analyzer that took into account temperature, mileage, drive cycles etc .... like other cars have so you're not wasting time and effort changing the oil too soon or worse, waiting to long to change it. My Honda civic has it, small 4 cylinder turbo. Sometimes its needs changed in 4k, other times when i do 1000k trips it'll be around 10k miles. My corvette has it too with the same type of results. Those type of monitors have been proven to be highly accurate. I really with my 4runner had it. No way I'm going 10k every oil change but since I can only go by mileage, it'll be 5k oil changes for me.
Sponsored

 

Zeeke

TRD Sport Premium
Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
20
Reaction score
12
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
26 TRD PRO on Allocation
what if Toyota had an engine analyzer that took into account temperature, mileage, drive cycles etc .... like other cars have so you're not wasting time and effort changing the oil too soon or worse, waiting to long to change it. My Honda civic has it, small 4 cylinder turbo. Sometimes its needs changed in 4k, other times when i do 1000k trips it'll be around 10k miles. My corvette has it too with the same type of results. Those type of monitors have been proven to be highly accurate. I really with my 4runner had it. No way I'm going 10k every oil change but since I can only go by mileage, it'll be 5k oil changes for me.
I had that in a ford ecoboost and it about blew my engine up. Light never came on and I changed oil at 10k like they said it should be and the oil was so bad I had to do 2 flushes. It might be better at monitoring now or maybe the ford one sucked. I think its a great idea if its accurate but that is the big question.
 

HVLA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
791
Reaction score
580
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Only real answer you're going to get is going to come from a UOA via blackstone or others.

10k is fine for a daily driver.

5k is fine for a more extreme lifestyle, such as towing heavy, off roading, multiple short trips, etc.

The US moved to 10ppm sulphur fuel in 2021, which was a big contributor to fouling the oil and shortening lifespan.

E.g. here is an Arizona based Rav4 2.5 Hybrid on 0w-16:


Still had 3.8 TBN left after 10,000mi.

Do what makes you feel good, ultimately.
Pop the valve cover at 100k after 10k mile oil changes on a turbo 4 and get back to me.
 

HVLA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
791
Reaction score
580
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
You're also creating more waste by changing the oil every 3k miles. It's unnecessary unless you're racing that engine every drive cycle. 5k-7500k are more reasonable.
What waste? You think he is pouring the oil into the river?
 

HVLA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
791
Reaction score
580
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Do what feels good to you. If you're worried about oil life then letting your engine idle after use before shutting it off will do more than early oil changes. This is one of the oldest arguments about engine oil that I can remember. My 90 Celica alltrac turbo said to change the oil at 5000 for synthetic. If driving spiritedly then sooner. Back then some in the group I belonged to said they wouldn't go over 2k miles. I just never worried about it and went 5k.

When I finally get mine I'll do the first one at 5k and the rest at 10k intervals. The only exception would be if I tow with it. I'm not going to be racing between lights and I let the engine warm up for the first minute. I'll also shut off the engine after letting the oil cool a bit. If it doesn't last, then I own it.

I'm sure that a modern turbo will last 200k miles without a problem following Toyota's schedule. The simple fact is that Toyota prides itself on longevity and reliability. It's one thing to have an issue because of issues with manufacturing. But lots of testing went into making sure that using a turbo was not going to cause lots of angry owners because their schedule for oil change intervals was too long.
Apparently you have missed the last 7 years of the V35A???
 

Dr_Al

Well-known member
First Name
Alex
Joined
Jun 19, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
133
Reaction score
71
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Tundra
what if Toyota had an engine analyzer that took into account temperature, mileage, drive cycles etc .... like other cars have so you're not wasting time and effort changing the oil too soon or worse, waiting to long to change it. My Honda civic has it, small 4 cylinder turbo. Sometimes its needs changed in 4k, other times when i do 1000k trips it'll be around 10k miles. My corvette has it too with the same type of results. Those type of monitors have been proven to be highly accurate. I really with my 4runner had it. No way I'm going 10k every oil change but since I can only go by mileage, it'll be 5k oil changes for me.
Because people like to plan things out. 10k is an easy number. So is 5k. Back in the day I can remember it was 3500 miles which wasn't as easy so oil change places would put a sticker on the windshield to remind people. With 10k it's simply every time your odometer turns another 10k. People want to not have to think or be surprised.
 

HVLA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
791
Reaction score
580
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Because people like to plan things out. 10k is an easy number. So is 5k. Back in the day I can remember it was 3500 miles which wasn't as easy so oil change places would put a sticker on the windshield to remind people. With 10k it's simply every time your odometer turns another 10k. People want to not have to think or be surprised.
Not to mention the people who dont want to leave their entire life decisions up to software code "written" by some dude letting AI fire up a PR he spends 15 seconds scanning while the WOW server is loading.
 

NotApplicable

Limited
Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
437
Reaction score
345
Location
WA, USA
Vehicle(s)
4Runner, IONIQ 9, Sprinter
Not to mention the people who dont want to leave their entire life decisions up to software code "written" by some dude letting AI fire up a PR he spends 15 seconds scanning while the WOW server is loading.
Wait… are you watching me work? 😇
 

romik

SR5
Active member
First Name
Romik
Joined
Jul 17, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
38
Reaction score
27
Location
Los Angeles
Vehicle(s)
2025 Toyota 4runer
I hope you realize that this video is not meant for a heavy 4WD vehicle that weighs around 5,500 lbs.
 

MikeK

Trailhunter
Well-known member
Joined
May 27, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
46
Reaction score
25
Location
Southern Nevada
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner
Driving in hot Texas heat in my Trail Hunter 3 to 4,000 mi for oil changes is not unreasonable. Turbos run extremely hot and after doing an oil analysis test with oil that was at the 5000 mile mark it had degraded significantly. People that buy 4Runners aren't concerned with waste or they would buy a Prius, Plus oil is cheap.
I live in Vegas, so I know all too well about heat. I've lived here my entire life and 5k oil changes are perfectly fine for turbo engines that see regular driving. If you're towing, offroading, or racing around, then a 3k interval is more ideal.
Your comment about people buying Prius' is ignorant bro. I bought a 4runner and I care about the environment, so there is a concern about waste. The fact that you aren't concerned about waste is another issue for another thread. Granted, waste from performing your own oil changes isn't much, but it is there and when millions of people are creating that small amount of waste, it becomes exponential and isn't so small anymore.
 

MikeK

Trailhunter
Well-known member
Joined
May 27, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
46
Reaction score
25
Location
Southern Nevada
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner
What waste? You think he is pouring the oil into the river?
Gloves, packaging materials from the new oil and filter, and towels.
Of course, there can also be unintended waste if some of the used oil spills and you need to clean it up. That gets wiped up with some towels and now oil soaked towels are going into the trash.
 

HVLA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
791
Reaction score
580
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Gloves, packaging materials from the new oil and filter, and towels.
Of course, there can also be unintended waste if some of the used oil spills and you need to clean it up. That gets wiped up with some towels and now oil soaked towels are going into the trash.
I think I will start doing 1,500 mile intervals.
 

127.0.0.1

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
844
Reaction score
729
Location
earf
Vehicle(s)
a bunch of Toyotas
Everyone on here is wrong, and the Toyota engineers dont know what they are doing. I am the only one who knows that you should do an oil change on a 4-cylinder hybrid every time you drive it. :p
1790363438168-uh.webp
:p
ha I do better than that...total loss oil system

55 gal drum of oil on the roof, gravity feed
the oil intake, oil drain plug is open and dumps to giant
oil diaper I strap to the frame.
every component gets the freshest juice available
Sponsored

 
 







Top