Great setup. I installed a Rival4x4 skid plate and the Fumoto valve. Oil Changes are a breeze now. That one has larger openings for the filter and the drain, which is very convenient too.
I am not sure this function is appropriate for an off-roader. However I like it a lot while driving in town. A software tweak from devices like the Carista should be able to do it once they come up with it.
New engine always has metal debris. Even a Toyota. I never been able to understand these 5000-10000 miles initial intervals. The carmakers want us to buy new cars more often I guess.
First, Happy Independence Day!
Old topic indeed. What I do with all my turbo cars is frequent oil changes the first 5000 miles, then 3000 to 6000 miles oil changes depending on how and where I drive. 10000 mile oil changes is not advisable for a turbo engine unless you don’t care about it. I...
I can’t think of a reason to trade in my 4Runner. I am a Toyota fan. Could have gotten the GX but that engine problem with the V6 was a concern to me. Don’t like hybrids so I passed on the so called Land Cruiser. So far very happy with my choice.
What I do since I have the same setup is, after I drain the oil through the Fumoto valve, I pour a quart of clean oil ( I have tons of 5W30 stashed) to flush the engine, let it drain well, then close the valve and fill with 6 quarts of 0W20 Toyota oil. I just bought some through Toyotaparts.com...
I want to keep mine for a while. Therefore will change the rear differential at 5k, then the front and the transfer case. Transmission too before 10k. Oil is cheap!
Also pull the dip stick once a week, check the level and smell the oil. If it smells of gas, take the truck back to the dealer, because the engine might be running too rich and the reason should be diagnosed and rectified.
Turbo engines don't do well cold for short trips. They need to be driven often with optimal working temperature. Hybrid systems make the issue worse since take off the load of the engine and prevent rapid warm up. If one drives 3-4 miles, the engine can't warm up at all. Because of that I drive...