Sponsored

SteveS

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
102
Reaction score
70
Location
Puyallup, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5, 2023 Range Rover Sport
Wow, out of grade in each of the first 1,000 miles OCI's and almost out of grade in the third. Insane. To me, that either points to TMO being ass or 0W-20 as a whole being a bad recommendation on Toyota's part.
Can you translate in to english?
 

josiahg52

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Josiah
Joined
Jun 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
286
Reaction score
145
Location
Maine, United States
Vehicle(s)
2026 Trailhunter, 2018 Ram 2500, 2001 BMW M5, 2001 BMW X5 35d
Can you translate in to english?
The Toyota motor oil 0W20 sheared down out of grade during a 1000 mile interval. SAE J300 range at 100C for 0W20 is 6.9 to 9.3 cSt. Presumably, at 1000 miles, the analysis showed the oil at a lower viscosity.

My first 1000 mile OCI, the Toyota 0W20 had a viscosity of 6.88 cSt @ 100C, a 0W16, or very thin 0W20. There was some fuel dilution and it was a first oil change so some thinning might be expected. Waiting on the 2500 mile OCI analysis.
 

morsk

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
138
Reaction score
76
Location
NY
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5
Can you translate in to english?
That report had 3 samples. Reading the columns from right-to-left, 3 oil changes were done with 1K miles on the oil, 2K miles on the oil, and 3K miles on the oil.

The first two samples had a 5.95 cSt Viscosity at 100C. The third and last sample had 6.10. The range for a 0W-20 oil is between 6.0 and 9.7 per the report.

What I'm saying is that the first two oil changes were below that range, so the oil was out-of-grade. The third and final was in-grade, but just by a hair.

I have been learning a lot about motor oil over the last few months and I plan to switch to 0W-30 very soon. I'm currently at 2,500 miles and I plan to use up the remaining 0W-20 PUP for the 3,000 and 5,000 mile OCI's. After that, I will be using Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30.
 
OP
OP
TMLifer

TMLifer

Limited
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
172
Reaction score
83
Location
US
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Limited iForce Max Hybrid
The Toyota motor oil 0W20 sheared down out of grade during a 1000 mile interval. SAE J300 range at 100C for 0W20 is 6.9 to 9.3 cSt. Presumably, at 1000 miles, the analysis showed the oil at a lower viscosity.

My first 1000 mile OCI, the Toyota 0W20 had a viscosity of 6.88 cSt @ 100C, a 0W16, or very thin 0W20. There was some fuel dilution and it was a first oil change so some thinning might be expected. Waiting on the 2500 mile OCI analysis.
Blackstone Lab's analysis reported the original factory 0W20 Toyota motor oil with a viscosity of 6.15 cSt from my first oil change at around 1,300 miles. I'm a newbie to doing oil analysis, but people had told me that the original factory Toyota 0W20 motor oil had essentially thinned to viscosity like 0W16. When I did my first oil change, I decided to use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP) 0W20 motor oil instead of using Toyota motor oil. It'll be interesting to see if the PUP breaks down as much as the Toyota motor oil when I do my next oil change and analysis. I'm guessing that the PUP oil won't break down or thin out as much, but we'll see...
 
Last edited:

SouthCoast

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
May 17, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
234
Reaction score
173
Location
Houston
Vehicle(s)
2025 4runner TRD ORP
Blackstone Lab's analysis reported the original factory 0W20 Toyota motor oil with a viscosity of 6.15 cSt from my first oil change at around 1,300 miles. I'm a newbie to doing oil analysis, but people had told me that the original factory Toyota 0W20 motor oil had essentially thinned to viscosity like 0W16. When I did my first oil change, I decided to use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP) 0W20 motor oil instead of using Toyota motor oil. It'll be interesting to see if the PUP breaks down as much as the Toyota motor oil when I do my next oil change and analysis. I'm guessing that the PUP oil won't break down or thin out as much, but we'll see...
just use 5w30... there's nothing wrong with NOT using 0w20
Sponsored

 
 







Top