Sponsored

Anyone replaced their brake rotors with better ones?

dilshan.perera

Platinum
New member
First Name
Dilshan
Joined
Sep 6, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Vehicle(s)
4runner
I want to know if anyone has replaced their factory rotors with new or better performing rotors and callipers?
Sponsored

 

josiahg52

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Josiah
Joined
Jun 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
286
Reaction score
143
Location
Maine, United States
Vehicle(s)
2026 Trailhunter, 2018 Ram 2500, 2001 BMW M5, 2001 BMW X5 35d
I mean, the GX rotors are heavier and thicker due to thicker friction surfaces, meaning there is more thermal mass and therefore may be less prone to fade in identical situations. The rotors are also slightly larger in diameter so there is a little more mechanical leverage there, I suppose, but importantly, the friction surface themselves are the same. Both calipers are fixed four piston, the GX calipers are different to position the pads properly over the friction surface. Pads are the same size, hardware is the same size, I'd bet good money the pistons are the same size.

I'd say the major benefit is the increased thermal management of the GX brakes vs. the 4Runner. I'd be wary of descriptions like way better or much better brakes. The 4Runner brakes are perfectly capable of exceeding tire grip in my experience. The larger GX brakes seems to be much more of thermal management/duty cycle consideration than "more stopping power."
 

HVLA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
791
Reaction score
580
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
I mean, the GX rotors are heavier and thicker due to thicker friction surfaces, meaning there is more thermal mass and therefore may be less prone to fade in identical situations. The rotors are also slightly larger in diameter so there is a little more mechanical leverage there, I suppose, but importantly, the friction surface themselves are the same. Both calipers are fixed four piston, the GX calipers are different to position the pads properly over the friction surface. Pads are the same size, hardware is the same size, I'd bet good money the pistons are the same size.

I'd say the major benefit is the increased thermal management of the GX brakes vs. the 4Runner. I'd be wary of descriptions like way better or much better brakes. The 4Runner brakes are perfectly capable of exceeding tire grip in my experience. The larger GX brakes seems to be much more of thermal management/duty cycle consideration than "more stopping power."
Which is exactly what you want if you added a bunch of weight such as tires, bumpers, armor....
 

Turbo8

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
Jul 13, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
53
Reaction score
48
Location
Las Vegas
Vehicle(s)
LX570, 250, GX550 ot, 3rd gen 4runner
Rotor dimensional differences: 4runner, GX550
- Rotor diameter: 340mm, 354mm
- Rotor total thickness: 32mm, 32mm
- Rotor wall thickness: 7.6mm, 8.9mm
- Rotor weight: 21.6lbs, 25lbs
 

Stonkin

TRD Off-Road
Active member
First Name
Julian
Joined
Feb 9, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
31
Reaction score
26
Location
MT Pleasant SC
Vehicle(s)
2026 I-Max TRD Off Road 4Runner
I started out with a simple pads and rotors swap, but it didn’t really move the needle. Save your money and buy XLine Power Brake US kit with 6 piston calipers, SS lines and much better rotors.
Huge difference but the OEM system is so marginal as to be scary with a sub 6K unbraked trailer or in the mountains or both. Am thinking about upgrading the rear brakes too
 

Nodak

Platinum
Well-known member
First Name
JR
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
66
Messages
2,741
Reaction score
1,553
Location
ND
Vehicle(s)
2026 4R Platinum Underground, 2025 4R Platinum Heritage Blue
yikes driving around with a 6k trailer with no brakes. i mean even the lowly uhaul 6x12 have surge brakes (smaller ones have none)

granted the uhaul 5x8 can only hold about 3k gvwr (900 for the empty trailer alone)
 

SteveS

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
92
Reaction score
67
Location
Puyallup, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5, 2023 Range Rover Sport
If you need bigger brakes, you purchased the wrong vehicle for the required need. Its not just about brakes that increases the load capacity.
 

Stonkin

TRD Off-Road
Active member
First Name
Julian
Joined
Feb 9, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
31
Reaction score
26
Location
MT Pleasant SC
Vehicle(s)
2026 I-Max TRD Off Road 4Runner
You’re probably right. I bought this for my wife. She said it could tow 6K which is more than my rock crawler Jeep, but less painful than my diesel dually, that pulls my 34’ box race car trailer. The U-Haul folks were thorough in determining that the 4Runner could handle it with my lighter weight Porsche, but I didn’t even check the trailer weight. It’s kinda amazing that someone builds, rents, or sells a trailer that heavy without brakes, but apparently they went to the same brake capacity school as the Toyota boys. Guessing across the industry, the engineering is at least 25% optimistic assuming most SUVs just haul groceries.
Just got word from Power-Brake.US that they have better rear rotors and pads, but waiting to see if the juice is worth the squeeze
Sponsored

 
 







Top