Sponsored

TRD Pro upper grille question.

Bryce0291

TRD Pro
Active member
First Name
Bryce
Joined
Jun 6, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
25
Reaction score
27
Location
Northern VA
Vehicle(s)
2026 4 Runner TRD Pro
Hey everyone quick question. I'm looking to buy and install a TRD pro heritage upper grille on my wife's Hybrid Off road. The question I have is is the swap a "plug and play" or will I need additional hardware? I do not plan on relocating the camera so I'll just buy a cap for that. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

 

juan mesa

Platinum
Well-known member
First Name
Juan
Joined
Apr 20, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
94
Reaction score
41
Location
Ontario, Canada
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota highlander
Hey everyone quick question. I'm looking to buy and install a TRD pro heritage upper grille on my wife's Hybrid Off road. The question I have is is the swap a "plug and play" or will I need additional hardware? I do not plan on relocating the camera so I'll just buy a cap for that. Thanks in advance.
I installed the TRD PRO upper grill on my platinum you don’t need extra hardware but it took me 5 hours to do it. Lots of clips there is a few videos on YouTube that explain how to do it.
 
OP
OP
Bryce0291

Bryce0291

TRD Pro
Active member
First Name
Bryce
Joined
Jun 6, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
25
Reaction score
27
Location
Northern VA
Vehicle(s)
2026 4 Runner TRD Pro
Yeah I watched some already not looking forward to that with so much to take apart.
 

juan mesa

Platinum
Well-known member
First Name
Juan
Joined
Apr 20, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
94
Reaction score
41
Location
Ontario, Canada
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota highlander
Yeah I watched some already not looking forward to that with so much to take apart.
Also for the camera I bought a black marble and I glued it from behind it looks like I have a camera, I will send you a picture tomorrow. Take your time but anyone can do it.
 

morsk

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
144
Reaction score
77
Location
NY
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5
Hey everyone quick question. I'm looking to buy and install a TRD pro heritage upper grille on my wife's Hybrid Off road. The question I have is is the swap a "plug and play" or will I need additional hardware? I do not plan on relocating the camera so I'll just buy a cap for that. Thanks in advance.
It's plug and play, but I personally had such a hard time with this mod that I ended up giving up, which is a huge shame give the amount of time and care that it took me to take the front bumper off. The problem was removing the grille from the bumper's clips. I just could not get those to budge. I kind of documented my pain a little in some else's thread, which I kind of regret, but here you go.

I actually have an appointment at a dealer this weekend for them to install. They quoted me just one labor hour (somewhere around $200 to $220, don't remember exactly). If that's the case, then I'll gladly pay this as I really want the TRD Pro grille (in my case) vs the stock SR5 grille.

https://www.4runner6g.com/forum/threads/2026-sr5-oem-build.12044/page-2#post-163278
 

JasonIsLost

TRD Sport Premium
Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Sep 14, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
17
Reaction score
12
Location
Atlanta
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD Sport Premium
I did the swap you're talking about and like others have said it's "plug and play" with no additional hardware needed. I did it with a buddy and we were able to knock it out in around 2 hours. We're both what I'd consider very amateur having each done a handful of previous bolt-on type installs. We had a couple of the install videos on a screen while we were doing it and did a lot of rewinding and replaying as we went through it which I'd recommend.

If you're able, I'd definitely also recommend having an extra set of hands since the main issues we ran into were the finicky clips/tabs. It really helped having someone else who could hold or push the plastic panels around so the tabs would clip in. If I were to have done it alone I reckon it would've taken a whole lot longer and involve much much more frustration.
 

Gerardo

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Gerardo
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Threads
11
Messages
128
Reaction score
107
Location
PNW
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off-Road Premium
Here is the grill with a MARBLE glue from behind where the camera supposed to go.

IMG_2847.webp


IMG_2848.webp
Great idea to use a marble, looks good!

I ended up using a plug as pictured here (link to 16mm hole plug in thread): https://www.4runner6g.com/forum/thr...h-gen-4runner-today-👨🏻‍🔧-🧰-🛠.2403/post-116867

I opted to have a shop install it at the same time as the headlights. Both plug-n-play, but I just didn't have the space/location (gravel) and time to attempt to do it myself. The shop charged me 3 hours of work (I bought the parts discounted during Toyota sales stacked on top of dealer discounts).
 

morsk

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
144
Reaction score
77
Location
NY
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5
Great idea to use a marble, looks good!

I ended up using a plug as pictured here (link to 16mm hole plug in thread): https://www.4runner6g.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-6th-gen-4runner-today-👨🏻‍🔧-🧰-🛠.2403/post-116867

I opted to have a shop install it at the same time as the headlights. Both plug-n-play, but I just didn't have the space/location (gravel) and time to attempt to do it myself. The shop charged me 3 hours of work (I bought the parts discounted during Toyota sales stacked on top of dealer discounts).
Looks good and good idea. Dealer or indie shop?
 

juan mesa

Platinum
Well-known member
First Name
Juan
Joined
Apr 20, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
94
Reaction score
41
Location
Ontario, Canada
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota highlander
Looks good and good idea. Dealer or indie shop?
I checked out the pictures of your truck and it looks amazing 🤩
What size of tires are those? Do you have wind noise with the cross bars?
 

Vincenzo

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
402
Reaction score
305
Location
Southeast
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
There are videos out there. Take special care removing the flares. They are fragile, too fragile. Have epoxy on hand to mend the clips.
Sponsored

 
 







Top