Sponsored

ysv85

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Yessi
Joined
May 1, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
49
Reaction score
24
Location
Los Angeles
Vehicle(s)
2026 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
I did receive the email and it was due to the evap portion having to be fixed. When I get home from work I have mine installed and so I will do the smoke test with it installed I want to see if it bolted makes the difference and if not I will send mine back to Sxth. I will wait for the teqsport or banks at that point.
PLEASE let us know champ
Sponsored

 

SC4Runner

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Fred
Joined
Mar 28, 2025
Threads
6
Messages
256
Reaction score
223
Location
South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, GMC Truck, Mercury Grand Marquis
I just ordered a smoke test kit. I am awaiting the TK500 to install both at the same time. When installed, I will smoke test.

I received the email regarding the delays and subsequently received the turbo inlet. I can attest to SXTH standing behind their products. The hot side of my charge pipes came loose, and they immediately took action. SXTH sent replacement clamps to the location I was staying on vacation.
 

drray81

TRD Pro
Member
First Name
ray
Joined
Oct 4, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
6
Reaction score
4
Location
Alexandria
Vehicle(s)
2026 Land Cruiser
I understand this part of the system is under vacuum. But my little brain can’t understand how any unfiltered unmetered air potentially gettin in can be good. Even if this is Sxth’s response I will not be putting it back on the car.
 

Vincenzo

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
402
Reaction score
305
Location
Southeast
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
I understand this part of the system is under vacuum. But my little brain can’t understand how any unfiltered unmetered air potentially gettin in can be good. Even if this is Sxth’s response I will not be putting it back on the car.
It renders a snorkel useless
 
OP
OP
jrdees916

jrdees916

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
Oct 23, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
61
Reaction score
83
Location
Urbandale
Vehicle(s)
4runner hybrid TRD Pro
So I did the smoke test and I will say I am taking mine off and sending it back. No matter if it doesn’t set off a CEL light there is a leak that is outside my comfort zone and so I will be waiting for the teqsport or banks to finish theirs.

 

ysv85

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Yessi
Joined
May 1, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
49
Reaction score
24
Location
Los Angeles
Vehicle(s)
2026 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
So I did the smoke test and I will say I am taking mine off and sending it back. No matter if it doesn’t set off a CEL light there is a leak that is outside my comfort zone and so I will be waiting for the teqsport or banks to finish theirs.

Appreciate this video. Just genuinely curious what can go wrong with this faulty turbo inlet? Help me to cancel my order lol
 

SC4Runner

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Fred
Joined
Mar 28, 2025
Threads
6
Messages
256
Reaction score
223
Location
South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, GMC Truck, Mercury Grand Marquis
So I did the smoke test and I will say I am taking mine off and sending it back. No matter if it doesn’t set off a CEL light there is a leak that is outside my comfort zone and so I will be waiting for the teqsport or banks to finish theirs.

Have you performed the same test on the factory inlet? There are a couple other ones out there, so I would like to see if they fair any better.
 

BonRunner

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
15
Messages
471
Reaction score
542
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2026 TRD Sport Premium / WCP
I understand this part of the system is under vacuum. But my little brain can’t understand how any unfiltered unmetered air potentially gettin in can be good. Even if this is Sxth’s response I will not be putting it back on the car.
So I did the smoke test and I will say I am taking mine off and sending it back. No matter if it doesn’t set off a CEL light there is a leak that is outside my comfort zone and so I will be waiting for the teqsport or banks to finish theirs.

See SXTH's responses below from the videos I shared of the leak test:

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen SXTH turbo inlet installed CleanShot 2026-10-05 at 18.50.59@2x
 

drray81

TRD Pro
Member
First Name
ray
Joined
Oct 4, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
6
Reaction score
4
Location
Alexandria
Vehicle(s)
2026 Land Cruiser
I tested my factory inlet once I reinstalled it. Zero leak. Holds pressure to the point my smoke machine gets blown off. I would bet a lot of money every single Sxth inlet will leak.
 
OP
OP
jrdees916

jrdees916

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
Oct 23, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
61
Reaction score
83
Location
Urbandale
Vehicle(s)
4runner hybrid TRD Pro
I think Sxth but off more then they can chew with this one. That air that leaks between the flange and the plastic pipe under boost will be sucked in through the leak along with the air in the pipe. Creating unstable air flow to the compressor. I don’t believe the product was intended to leak by design but because they never got a CEL light they just stuck with it and said it’s good. Not a good move in my opinion
 

SXTHMark

TRD Off-Road
New member
Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Joined
Oct 5, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
3
Reaction score
4
Location
Spartanburg, SC
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
I think Sxth but off more then they can chew with this one. That air that leaks between the flange and the plastic pipe under boost will be sucked in through the leak along with the air in the pipe. Creating unstable air flow to the compressor. I don’t believe the product was intended to leak by design but because they never got a CEL light they just stuck with it and said it’s good. Not a good move in my opinion
Hey there! I will be performing an experiment trying to suck smoke into the inlet from the outside. I will update when I get that complete and set up. I have to print some fixtures and pieces and do some other research.

Smoking the tube under any positive pressure from the inside is just showing an assembly smoking in a situation that doesn't happen in operation. I disagree it that validates a normal operation malfunction.

This is also making an assumption here that a 5+psi smoke test will show the equivalent leak of the operating vacuum inside the inlet. I am digging into this info as well but my initial guess is that the very large amount of smoke in the last video would not enter in that joint from the outside given vacuum pulling thru the tube from the turbocharger at wide open throttle.

Another thing to note, pressure from the inside would naturally push components apart, while vacuum would help pull them together. This still needs to be confirmed.

I am also searching thru the OEM manual and will hop into my OBD reader to look at mass flow during operation. Once you know max mass flow in g/s, you can calculate a % of leak knowing the dimensions of the all the parts. I have calculated the possible gap (o-ring present or missing) and the amount of possible air leak in g/s is VERY small, less than .1 g/s - when the OEM manual shows me MAF testing procedures at 25-30 g/s - this comes to be a 0.004% ~ .003% effect, which is very negligible to say the least based on the geometry.

Either way, I believe while the smoke tests being done currently have good intentions behind them, they are not properly executed for real world conditions.

Give me a couple days, I have to:

- order some longer vacuum hose to measure engine vacuum at the turbocharger with my manometer
- print a new inlet with a measurement port for the manometer
- do some driving to measure real world vacuum generated the turbochargher
- print some jigs to do a bench test - I need to make sure my vacuum generator can match the vac generated by the turbocharger
- get a new smoke machine myself (already ordered)
- research the OEM manual for the correct values for sensor operation and CEL thresholds
- compile all of this together

If anyone has any other suggestions, please post up.

If you are still with me, thanks for reading :)
 

Stonkin

TRD Off-Road
Active member
First Name
Julian
Joined
Feb 9, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
38
Reaction score
29
Location
MT Pleasant SC
Vehicle(s)
2026 I-Max TRD Off Road 4Runner
I suppose that even if the normal state in the inlet is negative pressure, the primary reason for the different inlet is to reduce pressure drop via improved laminar flow and less obstruction, and any leak can create turbulence that can impair the flow, and that leak is likely to grow the harder the turbo is sucking air in, so likely the less helpful the inlet becomes the more you need the better flow. Do I have this right?

stonkin
 

SXTHMark

TRD Off-Road
New member
Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Joined
Oct 5, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
3
Reaction score
4
Location
Spartanburg, SC
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
I suppose that even if the normal state in the inlet is negative pressure, the primary reason for the different inlet is to reduce pressure drop via improved laminar flow and less obstruction, and any leak can create turbulence that can impair the flow, and that leak is likely to grow the harder the turbo is sucking air in, so likely the less helpful the inlet becomes the more you need the better flow. Do I have this right?

stonkin
You are correct in theory. The only thing I would disagree with is the leak/turbulence point.

The turbulence doesn't matter, it's post MAF measured air that does here. Any post MAF leak in the intake air path will cause a CEL if past a certain threshold which I am searching for, just to have the number.

As I said earlier, the physical gap itself only presents a 0.004% g/s leak if the o-ring is not there.A value like this is a moot point and figuratively the same as zero in the grand scheme.

I will confirm all these numbers in the coming days but yes, you are right in the function of the inlet itself for reduced pressure drop so the turbo operates more efficiently.
Sponsored

 
 







Top