Sponsored

Help w. Carplay

Lamuncha

Limited
Well-known member
First Name
Don
Joined
Sep 26, 2025
Threads
11
Messages
158
Reaction score
83
Location
new england
Vehicle(s)
2025 4 runner
As Brumey suggested using the cable eliminates the problem. I have tried without the cable for 4 months without real repeatable success. Bit of pITA but.......
Same with the adaptive cruise control. Truck passes on the right and my truck tries to stop, just perfect on the highway.
The real problem is this fault is inconsistent. Feature now off to the trash.
Sponsored

 

SteveS

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
112
Reaction score
74
Location
Puyallup, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5, 2023 Range Rover Sport
FOr folk reading this, its important understand that Apple CarPlay uses Bluetooth AND Wi-Fi. If your phone is using another Wi-Fi connection it will not work with Bluetooth alone.
 

6thGen1419

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Peter
Joined
Sep 18, 2025
Threads
26
Messages
404
Reaction score
242
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium iForce Max
FOr folk reading this, its important understand that Apple CarPlay uses Bluetooth AND Wi-Fi. If your phone is using another Wi-Fi connection it will not work with Bluetooth alone.
Sort of. When I get in the car on my driveway, my phone is still connected to my home WIFi and the phone connects to CarPlay just fine. You're right that it uses WiFi and Bluetooth, but it seems to handle it fine and connect to CarPlay when my phone is connected to my home wifi when I start up the 4Runner.

For example, when I have WiFi off on my phone, my 4Runner complains when connecting to CarPlay.
 

L-2

Trailhunter
Active member
Joined
May 6, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
35
Reaction score
15
Location
Nevada & California
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma Off-Road, 2014 Acura MDX, 2025 4Runner TrailHunter
I admit this internet mobile connectivity stuff is a bit beyond my comprehension.
For my iPhone, presently an iPhone 13, need to have both Bluetooth and wifi turned on, to stream info into my 6G4Runner, whether I connect my USB-C cable from the head unit to my phone or not?
I believe at least a partial answer must be yes or I wouldn't be able to even receive my usual Pandora music while I drive or use Apple or Google Maps apps to navigate while driving and glancing at the headunit or getting spoken directions.

Why does wifi need to turned on in my iPhone if I can't get a wifi connection while driving on the freeway or if I'm hardwired into the headunit? Maybe I am getting wifi signals while I'm driving besides my unlimited cellular 5G/5G+ with AT&T, but as I said, it may be beyond my understanding.

I do usually leave Bluetooth and wifi on in my phone all the time, but occasionally may have turned one or the other off for some weird or specific reasons and forgotten to turn one or the other back on.
 

Joestac

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2025
Threads
27
Messages
689
Reaction score
524
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Trailhunter
I admit this internet mobile connectivity stuff is a bit beyond my comprehension.
For my iPhone, presently an iPhone 13, need to have both Bluetooth and wifi turned on, to stream info into my 6G4Runner, whether I connect my USB-C cable from the head unit to my phone or not?
I believe at least a partial answer must be yes or I wouldn't be able to even receive my usual Pandora music while I drive or use Apple or Google Maps apps to navigate while driving and glancing at the headunit or getting spoken directions.

Why does wifi need to turned on in my iPhone if I can't get a wifi connection while driving on the freeway or if I'm hardwired into the headunit? Maybe I am getting wifi signals while I'm driving besides my unlimited cellular 5G/5G+ with AT&T, but as I said, it may be beyond my understanding.

I do usually leave Bluetooth and wifi on in my phone all the time, but occasionally may have turned one or the other off for some weird or specific reasons and forgotten to turn one or the other back on.
It has to do with bandwidth limitations for Bluetooth. Your phone creates a wifi connection between itself and your car for heavier data usage needs, maps, streaming music. It can handle phone calls and text messages with only Bluetooth, but for everything to work you need to have wifi on your phone on. The same is true for Android Auto.
 
  • Like
Reactions: L-2

6thGen1419

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Peter
Joined
Sep 18, 2025
Threads
26
Messages
404
Reaction score
242
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium iForce Max
I admit this internet mobile connectivity stuff is a bit beyond my comprehension.
For my iPhone, presently an iPhone 13, need to have both Bluetooth and wifi turned on, to stream info into my 6G4Runner, whether I connect my USB-C cable from the head unit to my phone or not?
I believe at least a partial answer must be yes or I wouldn't be able to even receive my usual Pandora music while I drive or use Apple or Google Maps apps to navigate while driving and glancing at the headunit or getting spoken directions.

Why does wifi need to turned on in my iPhone if I can't get a wifi connection while driving on the freeway or if I'm hardwired into the headunit? Maybe I am getting wifi signals while I'm driving besides my unlimited cellular 5G/5G+ with AT&T, but as I said, it may be beyond my understanding.

I do usually leave Bluetooth and wifi on in my phone all the time, but occasionally may have turned one or the other off for some weird or specific reasons and forgotten to turn one or the other back on.
I learned from AI that if you want to do CarPlay wired, you need to use the USB connector on the screen, not the USB chargers under to center console, which are apparently charging-only.
 
  • Like
Reactions: L-2

L-2

Trailhunter
Active member
Joined
May 6, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
35
Reaction score
15
Location
Nevada & California
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma Off-Road, 2014 Acura MDX, 2025 4Runner TrailHunter
OK to both responses, to me above. Yes, I do use the USB-C directly to the headunit's screen.
 

Joestac

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2025
Threads
27
Messages
689
Reaction score
524
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Trailhunter
OK to both responses, to me above. Yes, I do use the USB-C directly to the headunit's screen.
If wired isn't working for you it could be your cable. Are you using the Apple lightning to USB-C cable or another brand? Oddly, on my previous car when I tried to use the Samsung USB-C cable, it never worked right. I ordered a higher rated Anker one and I never had issues again.
 

L-2

Trailhunter
Active member
Joined
May 6, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
35
Reaction score
15
Location
Nevada & California
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma Off-Road, 2014 Acura MDX, 2025 4Runner TrailHunter
I never mentioned having any problems especially with my cable. Maybe this is why I get confused reading this forum. When I say/type something, I can be misunderstood as well as when I read something somebody else types.
 

Joestac

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2025
Threads
27
Messages
689
Reaction score
524
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Trailhunter
I never mentioned having any problems especially with my cable. Maybe this is why I get confused reading this forum. When I say/type something, I can be misunderstood as well as when I read something somebody else types.
No worries. Confusion is easy over a medium such as this.

"For my iPhone, presently an iPhone 13, need to have both Bluetooth and wifi turned on, to stream info into my 6G4Runner, whether I connect my USB-C cable from the head unit to my phone or not?"

I took this as having issues with wired because if your wired is working you shouldn't need wifi on. Just Bluetooth.

For Android, I run cabled now because for some odd reason I get cut outs on wireless Android Auto when I pass certain radio towers and my music or audio book skips like a CD player. So I just run the cable to the head unit and call it a day.
 

L-2

Trailhunter
Active member
Joined
May 6, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
35
Reaction score
15
Location
Nevada & California
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma Off-Road, 2014 Acura MDX, 2025 4Runner TrailHunter
I can't even type correctly anymore.
My prior question had bad grammar:
"For my iPhone, presently an iPhone 13, need to have both Bluetooth and wifi turned on, to stream info into my 6G4Runner, whether I connect my USB-C cable from the head unit to my phone or not?"

I MEANT TO TYPE: For my iPhone, presently an iPhone 13, do I need to have both Bluetooth and wifi turned on, to stream info into my 6G4Runner, whether I connect my USB-C cable from the head unit to my phone or do I not need Bluetooth or wifi turned on?"

Thanks everyone for answering. I believe the answer is Bluetooth and wifi should both be turned on in my iPhone when using Carplay, whether my iPhone being wired or not to the 4Runner's headunit. I'll try to stop here at this point as I start to confuse myself with questions, although I may return in the future.

I'm editing/amending my response, somewhat. If I'm using a cable between headunit and phone, as I normally do, I don't need to have either Bluetooth or wifi turned on while I drive. However, there's no usual reasons for me to turn them off anyway, at least in the car. Cellular does need to be on for streaming Pandora or Google Maps, as examples of what I might use. More questions keep popping into my head as I type, but I'll stop for now.
Sponsored

 
Last edited:
 







Top