Sponsored

Has anyone replaced the headlights from ORP

Daniel-SanLV

TRD Off-Road Premium
Member
First Name
Daniel
Joined
Mar 31, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
23
Reaction score
8
Location
Las Vegas, NV
Vehicle(s)
2025 Toyota 4Runner Off-Road Premium
The headlights are just ok. The LED headlights that came with my 3G Tacoma are way better and look good too. The premium models should've at least had the premium headlights as an available option since they are supposed to be "Premium" models.

I am willing to bet that Toyota will do that with the mid-cycle refresh.
I agree. I recently took a trip to Duck Creek Village, Utah in my ORP and all kinds of delays getting out of town resulted in me traveling up a winding mountain road at 10pm. There were deer ALL over the sides of the road for miles in the near pitch darkness, and I can concur that my headlights were merely "fine". Definitely will at least be getting ditch lights...
Sponsored

 

CO/ZA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
254
Reaction score
239
Location
Denver
Vehicle(s)
25 4R ORP
I agree. I recently took a trip to Duck Creek Village, Utah in my ORP and all kinds of delays getting out of town resulted in me traveling up a winding mountain road at 10pm. There were deer ALL over the sides of the road for miles in the near pitch darkness, and I can concur that my headlights were merely "fine". Definitely will at least be getting ditch lights...
I opted to replace mine with the TRD PRO headlights afterall.

The TRD OR/SPORT/SR5 trim headlights are abysmal, as was my similar experience in the San Juans at night.

The glare is very bad, and the sides of the road are not well illuminated, so you don't see a deer until the last possible second.

After upgrading, it really does feel like Toyota went to Koito and requested the cheapest possible 25w LED head lamps.

My 2015 VW GTI had better, more advanced bi-xenon lights than this 2025 Toyota...
 

Dead Horse

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Sep 6, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
638
Reaction score
716
Location
Oklahoma
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I opted to replace mine with the TRD PRO headlights afterall.

The TRD OR/SPORT/SR5 trim headlights are abysmal, as was my similar experience in the San Juans at night.

The glare is very bad, and the sides of the road are not well illuminated, so you don't see a deer until the last possible second.

After upgrading, it really does feel like Toyota went to Koito and requested the cheapest possible 25w LED head lamps.

My 2015 VW GTI had better, more advanced bi-xenon lights than this 2025 Toyota...
So the Pro headlights are noticeably better than the ORPs? I don't mind the ORPs, they're MUCH better than the halogens on my 2013 Tundra that I came from. But I have the Trailhunter headlights in a box waiting to install them when I finish getting all the rest of the front end parts...If they're that much better, then BONUS for me! :D
 

Franco

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
First Name
Frank
Joined
Jul 21, 2025
Threads
16
Messages
182
Reaction score
202
Location
San Clemente, CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD Off-Road
So the Pro headlights are noticeably better than the ORPs? I don't mind the ORPs, they're MUCH better than the halogens on my 2013 Tundra that I came from. But I have the Trailhunter headlights in a box waiting to install them when I finish getting all the rest of the front end parts...If they're that much better, then BONUS for me! :D
The short answer is yes
If you look back on this thread, one of the members posted, the specific improvement in brightness. It’s not huge, but it’s fairly significant especially on high beam. I think most people want the DRL lights as the priority, but they do improve the brightness.
For me, I added grill lights because whether I am driving in the Backcountry or Off-Road, I want to be able to see like it’s daytime
2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Has anyone replaced the headlights from ORP IMG_0412
 

BruceB

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Dec 5, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
48
Reaction score
19
Location
Olympia, Washington
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado Z71, 4Runner TRD ORP Hybrid
The short answer is yes
If you look back on this thread, one of the members posted, the specific improvement in brightness. It’s not huge, but it’s fairly significant especially on high beam. I think most people want the DRL lights as the priority, but they do improve the brightness.
For me, I added grill lights because whether I am driving in the Backcountry or Off-Road, I want to be able to see like it’s daytime
IMG_0412.webp
I like you grill lights. Can you please tell what brand and model? And, can you tell how you installed them? Mainly curious if you had to take off front fascia or if you could do it without doing that and also without having to do any cutting of the grill. Thanks in advance!
 

BonRunner

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
15
Messages
445
Reaction score
516
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2026 TRD Sport Premium / WCP
I like you grill lights. Can you please tell what brand and model? And, can you tell how you installed them? Mainly curious if you had to take off front fascia or if you could do it without doing that and also without having to do any cutting of the grill. Thanks in advance!
His grill lights (and fogs) are definitely those from Baja Designs (https://www.bajadesigns.com/product...-light-kit-toyota-2025-26-4runner/?vid=182026).

The Sport set is $850+ and Pro set is $1,200+. They are expensive due to strong brand power, proven result, lifetime warranty policy & powerful lumens measurement.

Check their installation instructions & videos.
 

BruceB

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Dec 5, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
48
Reaction score
19
Location
Olympia, Washington
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado Z71, 4Runner TRD ORP Hybrid

CO/ZA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
254
Reaction score
239
Location
Denver
Vehicle(s)
25 4R ORP
The short answer is yes
If you look back on this thread, one of the members posted, the specific improvement in brightness. It’s not huge, but it’s fairly significant especially on high beam. I think most people want the DRL lights as the priority, but they do improve the brightness.
For me, I added grill lights because whether I am driving in the Backcountry or Off-Road, I want to be able to see like it’s daytime
For me, the biggest difference is you have a sharp, clean cut off of the low beams.

As well as the fact they're wider in terms of throw.

The amber DRL eyebrows is also a nice touch, vs a low power low beam of the lower trim head lights.
 

Stonkin

TRD Off-Road
Active member
First Name
Julian
Joined
Feb 9, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
34
Reaction score
28
Location
MT Pleasant SC
Vehicle(s)
2026 I-Max TRD Off Road 4Runner
I have read the objections to the AlphaRexx Nova’s. So far they’ve been a good if pricey upgrade. The Baja Designs replacement fogs are a big help, as are their reverse /tailgater LEDs. We just got the behind the grill auxiliary Baja Designs to further assist down the higher speed darkness. We will report back on them.
 

plukaz

SR5
Member
First Name
Paul
Joined
Aug 21, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
13
Reaction score
8
Location
Chicago
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner SR5, 2023 4Runner Limited
I have to disagree pretty strongly with this.

What you're describing is increasing foreground illumination by aiming the headlights lower. That may make the area immediately in front of the vehicle appear brighter, but that's generally the opposite of what you want for safe night driving.

Your eyes adapt to the brightest part of the scene. If you flood the first 30–50 feet in front of the vehicle with light, you reduce your ability to see farther down the road where hazards actually matter at highway speeds. More light in the foreground does not automatically mean better visibility.

This is the same reason I dislike—and why they're illegal in many places—LED or HID retrofit bulbs in halogen reflector housings. People think they're "brighter" because there's more light everywhere, especially in the foreground, but much of that light is uncontrolled. It creates glare for oncoming traffic and excessive foreground lighting, while often doing little to improve useful seeing distance.

Headlight aim is supposed to be a compromise between foreground illumination, down-road visibility, and glare control. The leveling dial exists to compensate for changes in vehicle attitude from cargo or trailer tongue weight—not to intentionally aim the headlights lower because the road in front of you looks brighter.

If lowering the beam makes the headlights seem better, I'd argue that's mostly a perception issue, not an improvement in actual nighttime seeing performance.
This is absolutely correct and I completely agree - reflector design is critical in achieving the best experience for real world driving, which is also why some manufacturers have dynamic aiming that tracks the steering angle. For the 4runner, I find the vertical light cut off to be fairly dramatic and Toyota is not the best at glare management design. My own experience in being blinded by an oncoming driver is that it's either LED/HID substitutes, which are all horrible, or, unfortunately, a poorly designed reflector from Honda or Toyota.

To the earlier post, if anything, the 4runner aim points are a bit low, but raising them without a horizontal control (which I don't think exists) will blind oncoming drivers. I also highly doubt that thrid party engineering for a specific model of vehicle will produce anything better for on-road experience - off road is a completely different and easier problem to solve
Sponsored

 
 







Top