Sponsored

Emergency lighting suggestions

Lamuncha

Limited
Well-known member
First Name
albert
Joined
Sep 26, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
147
Reaction score
69
Location
new england
Vehicle(s)
2025 4 runner
I was going through a checklist of things for a trip. It was getting dark by the time I got to the spare tire to check the pressure. The valve stem is on the top of the tire so it needs to be dropped.

It was a great experience because I quickly realized there is no way I could do this in the dark. The tools, winch, hidden receiver etc are impossible to use without light.

Anyone have suggestions on a reasonably bright, portable light that can be left charging on one of the rear seat ports.
I assume those ports are dead when the ignition os off.

Thanks
Sponsored

 

get.outside.75

Limited
Well-known member
First Name
Brian
Joined
Jul 13, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
222
Reaction score
221
Location
Charlotte
Vehicle(s)
Limited iForce max
I was going through a checklist of things for a trip. It was getting dark by the time I got to the spare tire to check the pressure. The valve stem is on the top of the tire so it needs to be dropped.

It was a great experience because I quickly realized there is no way I could do this in the dark. The tools, winch, hidden receiver etc are impossible to use without light.

Anyone have suggestions on a reasonably bright, portable light that can be left charging on one of the rear seat ports.
I assume those ports are dead when the ignition os off.

Thanks
For that, I would just get a USB rechargable Nitecore headlamp. I have a 10yr old NU20 that holds its charge like a champ. Just set a calendar reminder to charge it up in the car every 6m or so.

I also got something like this that fits in the round hole spot on the driver side dash. Lights up like a christmas tree and has a flash light mode (with a magnet and hook).
2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Emergency lighting suggestions 1789759237684-it
 

johnbplus9

TRD Off-Road Premium
New member
First Name
John
Joined
Jul 7, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
4
Reaction score
6
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2026 ORP in Everest
As far as rechargeable flashlights go, I'm fond of these tiny "Olight imini" keychain lights. Pretty bright, and magnetic. USB A though, so will need an A to C adapter. They make awesome holiday gifts btw. (Note - I am in no way affiliated with Olight - just a happy customer).
 

DeStreGa5

TRD Off-Road Premium
Member
First Name
Andrew
Joined
Aug 9, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
18
Reaction score
10
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
'26 4Runner ORP, '15 Corvette Z51
I have an Olight mini and an Oclip in my center console. My Maglite is stuck, so I can't replace the battery in it anymore. I'm looking to replace it with the Sofirn SR15. I have the C8L for the house and I really like it. I think I might also stick one of my LED lanterns in the trunk just in case. I definitely like the magnetic options for car lights.
 

Sandlapper

TRD Off-Road Premium
New member
Joined
Apr 6, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
Location
Yemassee SC
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
I have this Klein flashlight. Rechargeable with folding magnetic stand and built in carabiner. It’s a good piece of kit.
2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Emergency lighting suggestions IMG_0040
 

bakutheleo

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Andy
Joined
Jun 8, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
394
Reaction score
185
Location
CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner i-Force Max
Those are all good suggestions, but I would also consider a small LED headlamp. I find them generally much more useful than a flashlight or even area light for task work, as they illuminate exactly where you are looking, which is where you need the light. Costco frequently has them that run off 3 AAA cells and are very bright. Home Depot and just about anywhere else has them as well. I use one daily at home and use rechargeable NiMH cells in them. If you get the "low discharge" cells (most common nowadays) they do not have to be constantly charged, so are easy to have ready along with an extra set or 2. These lights really are small; might even fit in that little cubby inside the driver side door that is designed to hold Toyota's horrifically overpriced light (I have not tried to fit it). I have one very similar to this (same brand):

https://www.amazon.com/COAST-Lumen-...99&sprefix=coast+led+headlamp,aps,246&sr=8-23

Many now have internal rechargeable cells which is fine, although I prefer these as they are easy to replace. Some of the larger ones use larger rechargeable cells that are standard and easy to replace.
 

bakutheleo

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Andy
Joined
Jun 8, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
394
Reaction score
185
Location
CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner i-Force Max

HVLA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
789
Reaction score
567
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
3 pack of coastal headlamps at costco is $29.99. They stay charged for a long time. Plug one in when it goes dead and pick up the next one. Easy.
 

Nodak

Platinum
Well-known member
First Name
JR
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
65
Messages
2,729
Reaction score
1,549
Location
ND
Vehicle(s)
2026 4R Platinum Underground, 2025 4R Platinum Heritage Blue
i have one of these for working my server rack and building pc's and for when i go on road trips, but if i can avoid it, i will not drive pass sundown.

you can use it also for a bare head band light

really convenient on trips since it uses usb-c to charge, just plug it in while driving and charge it


2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Emergency lighting suggestions 1790086218294-as



2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Emergency lighting suggestions 1790086271845-u5


2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Emergency lighting suggestions 1790086464647-mv
Sponsored

 
 







Top