Sponsored

Do DIY oil changes impact Carfax value?

Gerardo

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Gerardo
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Threads
11
Messages
128
Reaction score
107
Location
PNW
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off-Road Premium
No, they dont show up on Carfax. I don't know how Carfax pulls the records but only the official ones (in my case, maintenance done at the dealership) shows up.

This is why I stated earlier about doing as many diy oil changes you want in between, but you want at least the 10K intervals to be at a dealership or shop so that you meet the minimum and have records in the system.
Oh, yeah, they don’t. I’ve been going at the maintenance intervals to the dealership, I simply tell them to skip the oil change.

The record comes through to CarFax and even though they didn’t do oil change, CarFax still lists oil change. It seems to be an automated system.
Sponsored

 

Dr_Al

Well-known member
First Name
Alex
Joined
Jun 19, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
135
Reaction score
72
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Tundra
Oh, yeah, they don’t. I’ve been going at the maintenance intervals to the dealership, I simply tell them to skip the oil change.

The record comes through to CarFax and even though they didn’t do oil change, CarFax still lists oil change. It seems to be an automated system.
I believe it's just what the tech or the person in the service department enters. I doubt the dealer or mechanic gets paid to enter it by Carfax so it's accuracy should be questioned. I have never done it but I would expect that it's one of those paperwork things that the quicker it's done the quicker you can move on to something that does pay the bills. If it was aircraft paperwork which is mandated by law it would be different. At a dealership it's most likely entered by someone in an office who didn't do the work or really cares how accurate it is. It's not like the dealership is cares one bit about how accurate a Carfax report is.
 

MDLV

SR5
New member
First Name
Matthew
Joined
Sep 13, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Lago Vista, Texas
Vehicle(s)
2026 Toyota 4Runner SR5
You can add DIY maintenance to the official toyota record. Log into your toyota dashboard. Go to service record and add an entry. I just did it an hour ago for recent work I completed: oil change, differentials, air filter, etc.
Thanks for passing that along. I do my own oil changes after one Toyota dealer did not tighten my oil drain plug on my 2010 FJ Cruiser. I made it home but discovered a huge puddle under my car the next day. The dealership was very apologetic, but that got me doing my own maintenance. That morphed into doing my own gear oil and eventually my own lift. Good excuse to buy tools! I plan on doing my own maintenance on my new 2026 4Runner as much as I can.
 

Meagerhair

TRD Off-Road Premium
New member
First Name
Cliff
Joined
Apr 26, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Saint Thomas, PA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
Ran diesel engine assembly for a truck OEM and I never saw an engine come back in pieces where we worked out the event being caused by changing oil too often. Also those early changes are key, you will typically have more metal in the oil those first 3 changes than any other. Wear in is a critical time. I paid dealer and did 2,500 and 5,000 changes and then will change at 10K. I will stick with the Toyota recommended from there.
 

Archer

TRD Pro
Well-known member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Apr 23, 2025
Threads
48
Messages
721
Reaction score
701
Location
Orwigsburg, Pa.
Vehicle(s)
2025 4 Runner TRD Pro
i stopped believing in Carfax when I got a blown engine on a recent purchase from a Dodge Dealership, changed the motor but never showed up on Carfax.

All those one size fits all companies are scams.
.
Sponsored

 
 







Top