Sponsored

4Runner Backseat Leg Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

trd_fee

Banned
TRD Off-Road Premium
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
17
Reaction score
7
Location
pa
Vehicle(s)
25 trd off road
  • Thread starter
  • Banned
  • #1
Does Anyone have a way to get the back seat to sit a little further back than it does coming from the factory. I’m not a big guy and I can barely fit back there. My car seat makes it so the front passenger seat has to be pushed all the way up..

I’ve seen brackets made up on older Toyotas to accomplish something similar to what I’m trying to do I’m just seeing if anyone has a fix to this issue
Sponsored

 

SteveS

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
104
Reaction score
72
Location
Puyallup, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5, 2023 Range Rover Sport
Wrong vehicle?

i am 5’8 and fit comfortably in the rear. Well, at least as comfortable as Toyota seats are.

did you test drive to meet your needs?
 

COHoss

TRD Off-Road
Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
5
Reaction score
4
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
26 4Runner TRD OR
Ignore the unhelpful response.

This may be as simple as changing car seets. What I’ve found is that some have an unnecessarily large foot print. You can find a unit that fits a lot better in that space.
 
OP
OP

trd_fee

Banned
TRD Off-Road Premium
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
17
Reaction score
7
Location
pa
Vehicle(s)
25 trd off road
  • Thread starter
  • Banned
  • #4
My wife’s 5’ 1” with the car seat behind her seat her knees hit the dashboard .. I didn’t take in to consideration for the car seat. Either way the back seat is tiny
 

HVLA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
791
Reaction score
580
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
I am confused by your post. Are we talking baby car seats? Your seat? Your wife's seat? What exactly is happening? Also, you have slid the backseat back as far as it goes already?
 

SteveS

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
104
Reaction score
72
Location
Puyallup, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5, 2023 Range Rover Sport
I too am confused. I just went into the garage and sat in the back, behind the drivers seat. I had 6-7" of space between my knees and the front seat fabric. Front seat is back quite far too. I am 5'7" - 5'8" on a good day.

I think the original posts needs a little clarification. Like HVLA stated, are they talking about Child Seats? How can a 5'1" persons knees be touching the front dash?

I also don't believe the rear seats adjust from front/back at least in a non-hybrid SR5. The seat back on the rears does recline which is nice.
 

6thGen1419

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Peter
Joined
Sep 18, 2025
Threads
26
Messages
400
Reaction score
240
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium iForce Max
Does Anyone have a way to get the back seat to sit a little further back than it does coming from the factory. I’m not a big guy and I can barely fit back there. My car seat makes it so the front passenger seat has to be pushed all the way up..

I’ve seen brackets made up on older Toyotas to accomplish something similar to what I’m trying to do I’m just seeing if anyone has a fix to this issue
I've have had 5 adults in mine, but it would never work for a long road trip.

The 6th gen 4Runner is not great for rear-facing car seats in the second row. I love my 4Runner, but I would never have purchased it if I needed to have a rear-facing car seat in the second row.
 

SouthCoast

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
May 17, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
234
Reaction score
173
Location
Houston
Vehicle(s)
2025 4runner TRD ORP
At 6'4, I can comfortably sit behind my own driver position. I have ZERO clue how your 5'1 wife's knees are hitting the dashboard. If this is regarding a child's seat, what kind of monstrosity do you have for a seat???
 
OP
OP

trd_fee

Banned
TRD Off-Road Premium
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
17
Reaction score
7
Location
pa
Vehicle(s)
25 trd off road
  • Thread starter
  • Banned
  • #9
I too am confused. I just went into the garage and sat in the back, behind the drivers seat. I had 6-7" of space between my knees and the front seat fabric. Front seat is back quite far too. I am 5'7" - 5'8" on a good day.

I think the original posts needs a little clarification. Like HVLA stated, are they talking about Child Seats? How can a 5'1" persons knees be touching the front dash?

I also don't believe the rear seats adjust from front/back at least in a non-hybrid SR5. The seat back on the rears does recline which is nice.
My wife’s 5’ 1” with the car seat behind her seat her knees hit the dashboard .. I didn’t take in to consideration for the car seat. Either way the back seat is tiny
I too am confused. I just went into the garage and sat in the back, behind the drivers seat. I had 6-7" of space between my knees and the front seat fabric. Front seat is back quite far too. I am 5'7" - 5'8" on a good day.

I think the original posts needs a little clarification. Like HVLA stated, are they talking about Child Seats? How can a 5'1" persons knees be touching the front dash?

I also don't believe the rear seats adjust from front/back at least in a non-hybrid SR5. The seat back on the rears does recline which is nice.
This really isn’t that big of a deal and you guys aren’t reading properly there’s nothing I can do about it. I’ll try to break down in simpler terms for those who can’t read.

My son’s car seat sits on the back seat behind the front passenger seat. In order to make the car seat fit, the front seat needs to be pushed up so far that my wife’s knees touch the dashboard.

all I am asking is there a way to push the back seats back further into the trunk. I don’t need any other bs commentary. If you don’t understand you don’t need to post some useless crap. If you have a solution then any help would be appreciated
 
OP
OP

trd_fee

Banned
TRD Off-Road Premium
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
17
Reaction score
7
Location
pa
Vehicle(s)
25 trd off road
At 6'4, I can comfortably sit behind my own driver position. I have ZERO clue how your 5'1 wife's knees are hitting the dashboard. If this is regarding a child's seat, what kind of monstrosity do you have for a seat???
Idk what to tell you pal. Thanks for the useless post!!
 
OP
OP

trd_fee

Banned
TRD Off-Road Premium
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
17
Reaction score
7
Location
pa
Vehicle(s)
25 trd off road
I've have had 5 adults in mine, but it would never work for a long road trip.

The 6th gen 4Runner is not great for rear-facing car seats in the second row. I love my 4Runner, but I would never have purchased it if I needed to have a rear-facing car seat in the second row.
Bought it prior to having a kid but thanks for advice on what you would or wouldn’t do. Maybe next time I will consult you on my next purchase.
 
OP
OP

trd_fee

Banned
TRD Off-Road Premium
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
17
Reaction score
7
Location
pa
Vehicle(s)
25 trd off road
Nah
 

SteveS

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
104
Reaction score
72
Location
Puyallup, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5, 2023 Range Rover Sport
TRD_FEE is definetly demonstration how not to react and respond to a community that is generaly helpful. It would not surprise me if he's blocked and I am not a big fan of forum moderation but he needs it.

Clearly, his orriginal post was not clear and poorly written. Then his follow-up messages abnoxious.

You get no help from me going forward and I guess many others will be thinking the same.
 

Sinistah

SR5
New member
Joined
Mar 25, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
2
Reaction score
2
Location
MN
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner
We have a Graco SlimFit car seat. My 5’4” wife is comfortable in front of it but it is tighter than most vehicles. We make it work because the 4Runner is my dream vehicle.

Since your wife is shorter, I would try a different car seat option first. If that doesn’t work, you will need a different vehicle.

Also, you need to work on your attitude and communication skills. Children are sponges and pickup on things quickly. If you can’t properly communicate or have patience, you will have a rough time.
Sponsored

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
 







Top