Sponsored

My Brain is Fried!

MarkOC

TRD Off-Road Premium
New member
First Name
Mark
Joined
May 19, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Cypress, CA
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F-150 Lariat
Okay, so here goes...

I am a returning 4Runner owner after 23 years (pervious was a 1999 SR5). I purchased a 2026 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium I-Force Max in May and would like to start modifying it a little at a time. I specifically purchased the 4Runner because I wanted the best of both worlds of commuting in Los Angeles traffic as well as having the ability to engage in minor to moderate off-roading. I test drove every SUV (Bronco, Jeep, etc.) before coming to the conclusion that the 4Runner was the best fit for what I was looking for (and it's an amazing vehicle). I am going to retire in a couple years and plan to purchase a large property in the Pacific Northwest (I am a Californian after all) and would like to do modifications that allow me to have some fun here in Cali as well as have utility at my retirement home.

I have done a lot of research since my purchase and educated myself on tires, lifts, wheels, etc. and have found myself to be right where I started. This is why my brain hurts. So here goes...I would like to find the right wheel, tire, and lift that will not void any warranties or put my personal safety in jeopardy. Budget is not an issue at the moment. This is what I am looking for and hopefully some of you can point me in the right direction or give me some advice.

I currently have the stock wheels and tires and suspension (wheel is TRD 18" Flat Black Alloy Wheel) and tire is a Michelin LTX Trail 265/70R18.

What I am looking for is as follows:

1. A slight lift (Nothing crazy) but enough to allow a larger tire and a slightly aggressive look. I am also 6' tall and would like a taller profile when I get in the vehicle. I currently have to duck to get in the car (one of the two main issues I have with the 6th Gen - the other being the small gas tank). I've looked at Westcott
Preload Collar and have mixed feelings. I went to a very reputable shop in Southern California and they told me that they install Westcotts all the time but they
recommend against it due to increased wear on stock suspension. They recommended upgrading the suspension instead which would give a slight lift (I didn't
ask by how much). I didn't get the feeling that they were trying to upsell me but you never know (They could tell I am a novice).

2. Keeping the factory rake. I plan to transport slightly heavy outdoor gear (Camping, Shooting) and was told that keeping the rake would prevent the front of the
4Runner from tilting upwards due to the excessive weight. I also plan to add molle side panels and maybe an aftermarket roof rack for extra gasoline and
water storage (Rotopax-type stuff). I do like the leveled look, however.

3. A more aggressive look. I currently have Falken Wildpeak A/T4W (285/75R18) on my F-150 and I absolutely love them. However, they are E-Load and I've learned
that E-Load tires are overkill for what I intend to use my 4Runner for and that they would drastically alter the ride. I have come to the conclusion that C-Load is
probably the best fit since I do not ever plan to rock climb at all but I plan to do mostly commuting on LA freeways and do some light to moderate off-roading
to remote locales in the California desert before I relocate in retirement. Take into consideration that I have been driving a 2013 F-150 with those Wildpeaks for
for 13 years so that's the ride I am used to.

4. Wheels - I've looked at so many wheels that I have probably caused permanent eye damage. I've learned that my stock wheels are (18x7 +45 offset - Part No.
PTR56-35242-F1). I've seen all the Methods, Black Rhinos, etc. and frankly I don't like them. I actually like the stock wheels (they're the all matt black ones) on
my 4Runner and the Tacoma ones. I have decided that a +30mm offset is probably what I am looking for (a slight but noticeable "Poke.") I do not intend to
swap my stock fender flares for the larger TRD PRO/Trailhunter ones. I have also discovered that a 17" wheel is ideal if I want larger sized all-terrain tires like the
Wildpeak. I am currently stuck between a 275/70R17 and a 285/75R17. I found it's easier to locate a C-Load tire in those sizes if I switch to a 17" wheel. Also, I don't
want the tires to have that aggressive bulge due to a smaller wheel width.

5. Cutting and removing parts. I've read that some people get rubs and some people don't even though they do the exact same modifications to their exact
same trims. Some say you have to remove the crash plate and some say you don't. Some say you need a lift and some say you don't. Some say to upgrade
the control arms and some say this is unnecessary. This is probably the main source of my consternation. A larger tire size and wheel offset requires you to lift
the car and do some minor mods to the wheel well but the contradictions are problematic.

6. Warranty issues. My dealer advised that adding aftermarket kits like the Westcott will void the warranty on the parts affected by the modification. It seems like
the only recourse is the TRD Lift Kit installed by an authorized Toyota dealer?

So, to recap I want a lift, a larger tire, a slight poke, and a more aggressive look. I plan to add side molle panels and carry some gear in the cargo area from time to time. I want the ability to occasionally off-road but mainly commute on LA freeways. I've seen many photos on this forum and the internet as a whole and I've liked many many setups folks have but I always come back to a slightly aggressive look. I welcome any thoughts and/or suggestions (and pics if they depict what I have described). I admit that some of the aforementioned info I provided may not be 100% accurate so please feel free to point out any discrepancies I have mentioned. If you do add a pic could you please include exact specifications as I may emulate what you've done. Also, I may have missed some important points because it's currently 2am and as the title of this post states, my brain is fried.

Thank you in advance,

Mark
Sponsored

 

josiahg52

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Josiah
Joined
Jun 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
286
Reaction score
145
Location
Maine, United States
Vehicle(s)
2026 Trailhunter, 2018 Ram 2500, 2001 BMW M5, 2001 BMW X5 35d
Toyota TRD lift, pick some wheels and tires.
 

HVLA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
791
Reaction score
580
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
If you are worried about warranty and money isnt an issue just stick with toyota parts installed at the dealer. TRD lift, TRD Pro wheels, and stick with the same Falken Wildpeaks but maybe air them down slightly. Done. Easy.
 

MikeD

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2025
Threads
13
Messages
594
Reaction score
483
Location
Virginia
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium - Heritage Blue Hybrid
Yep
TRD lift. Very slight rake. Heavier duty rear springs for weight.
Keep the TRD Flat black wheels
Upgrade to 275/70 for no chance of rub when original tires need to be replaced (<50k mi) or earlier if you want.
285/70 will also fit with small chance of rubbing on crash plate. Easy removal
Or overdo it like me and get 285/75 (34.8") which will rub crash plates but with +45 offset work fine otherwise if air dam removed and screw tab bent out of the way.
Good luck
 

ziva

Limited
Member
First Name
Ziva
Joined
May 10, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Location
Northern Arizona
Vehicle(s)
2026 4 Runner limited, 2021 Tundra 4x4, 2014 FJ
Seeing you are in California, before you do ANY modifications, put a kill switch on the 4 Runner. The more you do, the more likely your vehicle will be stolen! Also, update your insurance policy when you do modifications.
Sponsored

 
 







Top