Sponsored

Yikes Why is the bilge pump running?

SteveS

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
110
Reaction score
73
Location
Puyallup, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5, 2023 Range Rover Sport
I did not hear any audio on your embedded video. However, having that much water ingress on a door is ridiculous.
I see you pulled out some plugs, should they have been removed prior to you buying or are you indicating we need to drain the doors manually?

I will now go look at my door fram and plugs. Its garaged and we have not had much raid but, I love to know more
 

SteveS

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
110
Reaction score
73
Location
Puyallup, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5, 2023 Range Rover Sport
I checked my door “plugs”. They are loose and seem more like a crude valve to let water escape but minimize crap getting in.

Is having that much water ingress the door normal and should it not ha vented out on its own?
 
OP
OP

Lamuncha

Limited
Well-known member
First Name
Don
Joined
Sep 26, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
155
Reaction score
83
Location
new england
Vehicle(s)
2025 4 runner
I did not hear any audio on your embedded video. However, having that much water ingress on a door is ridiculous.
I see you pulled out some plugs, should they have been removed prior to you buying or are you indicating we need to drain the doors manually?

I will now go look at my door fram and plugs. Its garaged and we have not had much raid but, I love to know more
I would have been banned for life if the audio was sent 🤬
 
OP
OP

Lamuncha

Limited
Well-known member
First Name
Don
Joined
Sep 26, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
155
Reaction score
83
Location
new england
Vehicle(s)
2025 4 runner
Just a note to others to add to the check list.
Pulling out of the driveway I heard gushing sound. Stepped on the brakes more reversed gushing sounds.
At first thought it was the sunroof.
Narrowed it down to the pas. door.
Seems the plugs are defective or installed improperly. They were not draining the water, it was sealed in probably since I bought it a year ago.....salt!
Main concern is the components inside. Hope they are marine grade. Speakers were definitely under water.

I guess I will get this on the record somehow in the event components start to crap out.
 

SteveS

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
110
Reaction score
73
Location
Puyallup, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5, 2023 Range Rover Sport
Wow, good find. Will listen or proactively pull out assuming they are designed to go back in and not break on removal.
 
Last edited:
OP
OP

Lamuncha

Limited
Well-known member
First Name
Don
Joined
Sep 26, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
155
Reaction score
83
Location
new england
Vehicle(s)
2025 4 runner
All three plugs on the passenger door were non functional.
Other doors seem to be ok when I removed them although wet inside.
Impossible to seal a moving part on the vehicle. they use planned leakage design.
Sun roofs are notorious because sealing them tight leads to jamming. There is a rectangular channel in the headliner under the glass/body interface. It has a drain in each corner with tubes running to the underside of the car.
Guess what happens when the clog - which they do.
 

127.0.0.1

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
846
Reaction score
731
Location
earf
Vehicle(s)
a bunch of Toyotas
sunroof drains may need to be fished with weed wacker line on occasion
 

ThatSickRIp

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
TSR
Joined
Jul 11, 2026
Threads
14
Messages
229
Reaction score
90
Location
VA
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner SR5
Holy shit, thats crazy!

Id take those videos and take the 4R to the dealer and see if you can get any proactive replacements or at the minimum an inspection on the internals to have it documented sooner than later
 

127.0.0.1

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
846
Reaction score
731
Location
earf
Vehicle(s)
a bunch of Toyotas
I just checked all around mine and they are tight but have little gaps behind
them and drain just fine. dry as a bone and we've had a metric F-ton of rain recently
(plus numerous touch free carwashes)
 

Joe Dirt

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Sep 24, 2025
Threads
20
Messages
489
Reaction score
238
Location
SoCal
Vehicle(s)
25 ORP
Sweet Jiminy crickets! Batten down the hatches! Reef the sails and prepare for rough weather! That much water is wrong in every explanation you are going to get from the dealership! Pull the plugs and manually get the bilge pump pumping.
 

Zeeke

TRD Sport Premium
Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
22
Reaction score
13
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
26 TRD PRO on Allocation
I have seen on the bot ridden facebook group more than one person say their doors had water in them and how they found out was the moldy rotten mildew smell in the cabin and they kept taking it to toyota and they would say its the sunroof or etc before someone finally found it. But that is crazy in your doors.

I hope that was a early 25 issue or something as ours has sat in rain etc and no issues so far but will keep an eye on it for sure.
 

127.0.0.1

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
846
Reaction score
731
Location
earf
Vehicle(s)
a bunch of Toyotas
rav4 have had official TSB on gen 5 door drains clogging
and a mitigation procedure

no TSB I know of yet on 4runner door drains
 

Wallb2

SR5
Member
First Name
Brad
Joined
Jul 15, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
10
Reaction score
3
Location
Edwardsville, IL.
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5
It noticed the sound of water in the hatch / tailgate. For the 1st time 4Runner sat in rain. I drove it, stopped at a rest stop to pull plugs, water was gone from driving.
STILL A MAJOR CONCERN!
 

plukaz

SR5
Member
First Name
Paul
Joined
Aug 21, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
17
Reaction score
9
Location
Chicago
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner SR5, 2023 4Runner Limited
Why not just remove the plugs permanently?
Sponsored

 
 







Top