Sponsored

TRD ORP - speedometer vs GPS speed

Joined
Mar 25, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
7
Reaction score
5
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner ORP
HI folks,

I just picked up my Everest ORP last week and have been enjoying it and this forum. I took my ride on its first decent trip to visit a friend about 2 hours from home. I noticed my indicated speed was 2-3 mph higher than what google maps was indicating. I’m curious if anyone else has noticed a similar issue. I do have the optional black TRD wheels installed as a port option, but I believe they are the same size as the stock ORP wheels. Any insights are greatly appreciated!

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen TRD ORP - speedometer vs GPS speed IMG_2766
Sponsored

 

zgreen

TRD Pro
Well-known member
First Name
Zach
Joined
Feb 6, 2025
Threads
11
Messages
690
Reaction score
612
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRDPro. Previously a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude.
HI folks,

I just picked up my Everest ORP last week and have been enjoying it and this forum. I took my ride on its first decent trip to visit a friend about 2 hours from home. I noticed my indicated speed was 2-3 mph higher than what google maps was indicating. I’m curious if anyone else has noticed a similar issue. I do have the optional black TRD wheels installed as a port option, but I believe they are the same size as the stock ORP wheels. Any insights are greatly appreciated!

IMG_2766.jpeg
Yes indeed. I have a Pro and when the Adaptive Cruise is set at 70, GPS on google maps is usually rough at 68, sometimes 67.
 

Ramsfan611

TRD Off-Road Premium
Member
First Name
Bernie
Joined
May 5, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
22
Reaction score
24
Location
Valenica, CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner
Yes mine too….. have a 2025 TRD ORP and Seems like many new cars have this issue. Had numerous BMW’s and they all were known for being 5 plus mph faster than GPS. First week I changed out the Michellin slicks and got some BFG’s in exact same size and even confirmed specs were the same, and on GPS read +3 or 4 MPH under as well on many speeds. So do we trust GPS, or our calibrated speedo’s…???
 

Nodak

Platinum
Well-known member
First Name
JR
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
67
Messages
2,758
Reaction score
1,561
Location
ND
Vehicle(s)
2026 4R Platinum Underground, 2025 4R Platinum Heritage Blue
per federal rules, speedometers must indicate actual speed or less. most oem's (outside of certified speedometers, ie: police packages) will show a higher speed than actual to not go over the federal rules.

my 2014 shows 1 mph (1.6kmh) higher than actual since i keep my MID in digital speed format instead of using the actual analogue gauge.
 
OP
OP
Ron-efnSwanson
Joined
Mar 25, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
7
Reaction score
5
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner ORP
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. While I don't anticipate a great answer from Toyota, I do plan to ask my service manager about it when I go in for my first oil change. If I hear anything interesting...I'll be sure to follow up here.
 

dirtwheeler

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
31
Messages
293
Reaction score
584
Location
United States
Vehicle(s)
2025 Toyota 4Runner
I know this post is a few months old but I just tripped across it "hoping" the speedometer reads a little high because I plan to install larger diameter tires. I just tested my ORP on its factory 265/70R18 Falken Wildpeak AT3WA tires. The speedometer was dead on -- testing by setting cruise control to 60 MPH and watching a GPS speedometer app on my phone. It was within 1 MPH anyway. I'll test again with the larger tires -- probably sometime in November.

I'm still wondering if all the trims are tuned the same, or it depends on the tires size -- I looked at an SR5, which has 245/70R17 stock tires.
Sponsored

 
 







Top