Sponsored

Trailhunter vs TRD pro

3rdRunner

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Bill
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
237
Reaction score
174
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
Trailhunter
I guess we can’t have it all, eh? Well, at this pace I’m leaning more towards the TRD pro, just for the aggressiveness and looks, everything else can be added.

sooooo, you’re saying a TRD pro is a pavement princess. ? lol
Well if the shoe fits…

Mountainburg, AR:


Sponsored

 
OP
OP
kingsev

kingsev

Trailhunter
Member
First Name
Sevag
Joined
Jul 26, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Website
cartrimhome.com
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4R
Sevag, I have 10,000 miles on my TH - 70% on the road and 30% off-road in Colorado, so a decent amount of challenging, rocky trails. I drove both the TRD Pro and TH, but in Taco form before ordering my 4Runner TH. For me the difference was suspension - as Bill said, the TH is much more compliant for the type of off-road stuff I do - primarily overlanding. The TRD Pro was much stiffer and more of a Baja basher! Some of the other options that come with the TH are also great for overlanding, like built-in compressor.
As a side note, I absolutely love the sounds that come from the elevated air intake (its not a snorkel). They are insane. Drives my wife a bit mad, but thats fine!
I also drove the Tacoma versions but apparently it’s not comparable , I’m glad you had the same experience while testing and nice to hear from a hands on person who passed through the same experience.

for me:

TH = no sunroof but onboard compressor, smoother lift / shocks , no black color option though and that elevated intake . These are my struggles .
Pro= nicer meaner looking truck, sunroof, no from factory skids, no roof rack, I know, I can install one or manufacture one :) shiny fender flares , yes I can wrap … but hope you understand my dilemma … but I’m glad you commented what you commented , the only color option I can see myself in a TH is white, I hate that so called blue Everest. So my only option in Canada is white …
 

6thGen1419

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Peter
Joined
Sep 18, 2025
Threads
26
Messages
400
Reaction score
240
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium iForce Max
Forget them both. The TRD Off Road Premium is the best!
 

3rdRunner

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Bill
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
237
Reaction score
174
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
Trailhunter
I was just taking the piss about the PRO - but the PRO boys and girls aren’t taking the bait so no fun there. They’re both very capable vehicles. I think the salient point still really boils down to how you’re going to use it. It’s a significant investment either way. And I don’t disagree with 6thGen1419 either - the ORP is a great trim. You’re getting most of the off-road capability and if you opt for SDM - pretty much all of it. The big difference then is which suspension you favor - OME, Fox or Bilstein. The ORP will save you about $5-7k which you can immediately throw into mods you can’t possibly live without.
 
OP
OP
kingsev

kingsev

Trailhunter
Member
First Name
Sevag
Joined
Jul 26, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Website
cartrimhome.com
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4R
Forget them both. The TRD Off Road Premium is the best!
Elaborate please why. I’m open to that to save $ and use down the road … obviously , like I built my 5th, I will my 6th, even better for my YouTube channel content .
 

6thGen1419

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Peter
Joined
Sep 18, 2025
Threads
26
Messages
400
Reaction score
240
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium iForce Max
Last edited:

SGXLX

TRD Pro
New member
Joined
Jun 17, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
4
Reaction score
4
Location
California
Vehicle(s)
4Runner, Matrix
Just my thoughts. You built out your 5th gen, so I'd think you would want to go with TRD-Offroad trim level and then get the components you'd place onto your 6th gen 4runner. If modifications and/or money is not a factor in your decision making, then it comes down to really which look you prefer both interior and exterior.

I went with the TRD Pro as I wanted the pro color for 2025 and loved how it came from Toyota. Engineers tested every component as built and for me I intend to keep it that way. I've taken my TRD Pro on fire roads mostly, and oceano dunes and its handled those envrionments without issue.

This Youtube Video of the 6th Gen TRD PRO is excellent and he makes all valid points.

The New 4Runner TRD PRO | The Unfortunate Truth
 

CO/ZA

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
255
Reaction score
239
Location
Denver
Vehicle(s)
25 4R ORP
Elaborate please why. I’m open to that to save $ and use down the road … obviously , like I built my 5th, I will my 6th, even better for my YouTube channel content .
Really it's the dealer price premium and you're stuck with the hybrid power train.

If you want to go gas-only, you can build up an ORP with the lift kits and other accessories to match what a TRDPRO/TH gets you.
 

verendus

TRD Off-Road Premium
New member
Joined
Aug 7, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Location
Northern California
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner TRD ORP
Forget them both. The TRD Off Road Premium is the best!
This is exactly what I did. I went into the dealer hoping to reserve a trailhunter, but saw a ORP gas sitting on the lot and the price difference was $14500 with the dealer discount of $4500. I went home with the ORP. I've spent the savings to build out the ORP to the trailhunter level or better. So far, here is what I have.

OME Trailhunter Suspension with the TRD Billet UCA
RCI Rockslider and aluminum skid plates
Method 703 wheels with Toyo Open Country 285/70r17 C load

I am missing the on-board compressor and some interior trim upgrades, but this is turning out to be a better vehicle than the stock TH. Plus, I don't need to endure that snorkel and get to enjoy my sunroof for the rest of my ownership.

All for $8k so far and $6.5k in my pocket for future upgrade.

YMMV. I am doing most of my labor except for the suspension and tires.
Sponsored

 
 







Top