Sponsored

Trailhunter vs TRD pro

kingsev

Trailhunter
Member
First Name
Sevag
Joined
Jul 26, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Location
Canada
Website
cartrimhome.com
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4R
6th Gen owners, I need some real-world help!


I’m stuck between the Trailhunter and TRD Pro. I absolutely prefer the look of the TRD Pro, but I also want the smoother ride, comfort and options of the Trailhunter.


For those who have driven or owned both, what are the real differences day to day? Ride quality, suspension, features, highway driving, winter, off-road, etc.


Keep in mind I’m in Canada, and our trims/options are slightly different from the U.S.


Coming from my heavily modified 5th Gen, so this decision isn’t easy 😂


Trailhunter or TRD Pro, and why? Appreciate the 4R community input! 🙏

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Trailhunter vs TRD pro A7559064-8CCC-4046-AC2E-BEEE7367FC03
Sponsored

 

3rdRunner

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Bill
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
240
Reaction score
176
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
Trailhunter
The pictures are mislabeled…lol. All depends on what you’re planning on doing with it IMO. I have the TH because we gravitate primarily to mountain trails. Slow crawling over rocky terrain, shelf roads..that kind of stuff. If we spent more time making runs in the desert I’d probably want the Pro. Either way you can’t go wrong unless you’re not planning on using it off road much. In that case I’d look for a different trim and save some money.
 

BonRunner

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
15
Messages
461
Reaction score
528
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2026 TRD Sport Premium / WCP
OP, please Google for stock images of the trims. Don't find modified image to do comparison.

The "Trailhunter" in your image is just a modified Pro. How I know? Hood scoop (Pro only). No snorkel. Pro wheels. Light bar, etc.. and more.

Also, it pretty clear you use AI to put together the collage comparison because AI fu*#ed up the label placement lol.
 
OP
OP
kingsev

kingsev

Trailhunter
Member
First Name
Sevag
Joined
Jul 26, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Location
Canada
Website
cartrimhome.com
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4R
The pictures are mislabeled…lol. All depends on what you’re planning on doing with it IMO. I have the TH because we gravitate primarily to mountain trails. Slow crawling over rocky terrain, shelf roads..that kind of stuff. If we spent more time making runs in the desert I’d probably want the Pro. Either way you can’t go wrong unless you’re not planning on using it off road much. In that case I’d look for a different trim and save some money.
Indeed ! Didn’t even realize , only after posting …
Here fixed it lol.

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Trailhunter vs TRD pro 7CADB72D-723C-4DB4-A3FF-DF26C81E57D4
 

L-2

Trailhunter
Active member
Joined
May 6, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
35
Reaction score
15
Location
Nevada & California
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma Off-Road, 2014 Acura MDX, 2025 4Runner TrailHunter
I've only driven my 2025 Trailhunter, but will share my thinking before buying the TH vs the TRD Pro.
-I didn't need or want a sunroof. I already have a 2014 Acura MDX with a sunroof and a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road also with a sunroof. Neither gets used much if at all.
-While I didn't particularly want the high air intake (aka snorkel), I definitely didn't want a faux-hood-scoop as on the Pro.
-I originally put down a deposit for the TRD Pro, but back in 2024, I had no idea what a Trailhunter was going to be. Also, back then, the Tacoma TRD Pro was getting some amount of reviews about having harsh suspension, with no reviews of the suspension on a 4Runner TRD Pro. In fact, I sitll don't know and haven't researched 4Runner TRD Pro ride comfort. I bought the Trailhunter and never researched about what I didn't buy. I bought the Trailhunter without even sitting in any 6G 4Runner trim level. I actually at first had my deposit slated for a Sequoia TRD Pro, then the 4Runner line-up was announced and I switched to the 4Runner TH. I also had a deposit down for a Lexus GX550 Overtrail, but one never came in, with a color I'd want and whether I was next up on the waiting list. My TH came in first, and now I'm particularly glad after hearing about Toyota V6 problems and not knowing or understanding whether GX engines are having the same problems or not.
-I didn't feel comfortable with the TRD Pro's gloss-black trim pieces as in the fender flares, for example.
-Otherwise, the TRD Pro and Trailhunter main drive trains are similar and the individual trim differences to me are more personal preference.
-If I'd bought the TRD Pro instead, I'd probably like it, I just chose the TH, instead.

-I just remembered, the TH also came with the rock rails, too.
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
kingsev

kingsev

Trailhunter
Member
First Name
Sevag
Joined
Jul 26, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Location
Canada
Website
cartrimhome.com
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4R
I was and am 80% in the same boat, with the sequoia , and Lexus … thank you for the input, appreciated . FYI the intake is not a snorkel in the TH, I wish it was .
 
OP
OP
kingsev

kingsev

Trailhunter
Member
First Name
Sevag
Joined
Jul 26, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Location
Canada
Website
cartrimhome.com
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4R
OP, please Google for stock images of the trims. Don't find modified image to do comparison.

The "Trailhunter" in your image is just a modified Pro. How I know? Hood scoop (Pro only). No snorkel. Pro wheels. Light bar, etc.. and more.

Also, it pretty clear you use AI to put together the collage comparison because AI fu*#ed up the label placement lol.
If you see , it was a decent mistake , I have specifically loaded both NOT AI pictures from real cars and people, the only mistake AI did when generating the pic , was the naming . Which I fixed here. The white TH is from Toyota’s page . The Trd pro is a built. Thanks for replying, yes, either are not bad. Just wanted to see real inputs . Thanks again

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Trailhunter vs TRD pro 7CADB72D-723C-4DB4-A3FF-DF26C81E57D4
 

BonRunner

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
15
Messages
461
Reaction score
528
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2026 TRD Sport Premium / WCP
If you see , it was a decent mistake , I have specifically loaded both NOT AI pictures from real cars and people, the only mistake AI did when generating the pic , was the naming . Which I fixed here. The white TH is from Toyota’s page . The Trd pro is a built. Thanks for replying, yes, either are not bad. Just wanted to see real inputs . Thanks again

7CADB72D-723C-4DB4-A3FF-DF26C81E57D4.webp
The issue when you upload photos to AI and tell it to make a nice collage or just add captions, they usually change many details of your original images without listen to your instructions.

Why does the white Trailhunter have hood scoop? Why is the headlights on the Pro have round projectors? And so on.

You could've upload the original images found online and people would know which one is which. No need to be fancy & add captions, which AI always use horrible fonts on them, to get our attention. It always does more harm than good.

Just my $0.02
 

GreiWlf

Trailhunter
Member
First Name
Tony
Joined
Oct 4, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
5
Reaction score
3
Location
NorCal
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner Trailhunter
The issue when you upload photos to AI and tell it to make a nice collage or just add captions, they usually change many details of your original images without listen to your instructions.

Why does the white Trailhunter have hood scoop? Why is the headlights on the Pro have round projectors? And so on.

You could've upload the original images found online and people would know which one is which. No need to be fancy & add captions, which AI always use horrible fonts on them, to get our attention. It always does more harm than good.

Just my $0.02
 

6thGen1419

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Peter
Joined
Sep 18, 2025
Threads
26
Messages
403
Reaction score
240
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium iForce Max
You’re right … thanks

it’s an elevated air intake and not a snorkel, I wish it was . It would have made my dilemma if it was .
Yeah, that's why I put snorkel in quotes, plus, it looks like a snorkel. I don't like it.
 

3rdRunner

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Bill
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
240
Reaction score
176
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
Trailhunter
Ok - we’ve beat the picture labeling thing to death. Here’s some pictures of the TH and PRO out in the wild:

TH at Palo Dura Canyon:
2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Trailhunter vs TRD pro IMG_0401


TRD Pro at the mall:

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Trailhunter vs TRD pro IMG_0481


Hopefully this gives you an idea of each trim’s distinctive competency. Ok Pro folks, your turn.
 
OP
OP
kingsev

kingsev

Trailhunter
Member
First Name
Sevag
Joined
Jul 26, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Location
Canada
Website
cartrimhome.com
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4R
Yeah, that's why I put snorkel in quotes, plus, it looks like a snorkel. I don't like it.
I guess we can’t have it all, eh? Well, at this pace I’m leaning more towards the TRD pro, just for the aggressiveness and looks, everything else can be added.
Ok - we’ve beat the picture labeling thing to death. Here’s some pictures of the TH and PRO out in the wild:

TH at Palo Dura Canyon:
IMG_0401.webp


TRD Pro at the mall:

IMG_0481.webp


Hopefully this gives you an idea of each trim’s distinctive competency. Ok Pro folks, your turn.
sooooo, you’re saying a TRD pro is a pavement princess. ? lol
 

engineero

Trailhunter
New member
First Name
Justin
Joined
Aug 25, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Trailhunter, Jeep 392 Final Edition, Jeep Rubicon Xtreme Recon 2D
Sevag, I have 10,000 miles on my TH - 70% on the road and 30% off-road in Colorado, so a decent amount of challenging, rocky trails. I drove both the TRD Pro and TH, but in Taco form before ordering my 4Runner TH. For me the difference was suspension - as Bill said, the TH is much more compliant for the type of off-road stuff I do - primarily overlanding. The TRD Pro was much stiffer and more of a Baja basher! Some of the other options that come with the TH are also great for overlanding, like built-in compressor.
As a side note, I absolutely love the sounds that come from the elevated air intake (its not a snorkel). They are insane. Drives my wife a bit mad, but thats fine!
Sponsored

 
 







Top