Sponsored

Stock Dash Cam Warning - image quality not good enough to pick up license plates

Obs

SR5
Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Location
OK
Vehicle(s)
25 SR5
So I was driving home from vacation on Friday night, and while changing lanes, got side swiped with a mirror from the car in this picture. The stock camera does not do any kind of job picking up the license plate. Cant decide if it's a camera or a headlight problem. I guess I'm switching it out for either the @Wolfbox or Viofo cameras.

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Stock Dash Cam Warning - image quality not good enough to pick up license plates 1753026143470-wv
Sponsored

 

2025 Big Red

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Ron
Joined
Apr 18, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
82
Reaction score
52
Location
Arizona
Vehicle(s)
4 Runner 2025
I just installed a Viofo A229 Pro 2 channel and love it. I got the dongle to get power from rear view mirror and ran wire for rear. Love it. Only challenge will be mounting rear camera. I have design already. Will use aluminum bar stock. It will hang down a bit to make sure camera is in area that window wiper clears.
 

J_Royal_Oak

TRD Off-Road Premium
Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
16
Reaction score
17
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium
Does the stock camera turn on the mic when it detects an incident?
I dont have the OEM one, I got a Viofo A119, but from everything I'm seeing online, it should be recording sound all the time.
 

DangItsDen

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Hayden
Joined
Mar 2, 2025
Threads
51
Messages
494
Reaction score
515
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Off-Road Premium + 2015 4Runner Trail Edition
Just found this out too. The plate looks like AI in the footage. Can't get a single clear number and I was about 15 feet behind the car in broad daylight. Absolutely useless garbage.
 

BonRunner

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
15
Messages
433
Reaction score
496
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2026 TRD Sport Premium / WCP
90% of dash cam out don't have good image sensor for night time license plate read out from a distance. You need a real 4K sensor but that comes at high cost, heat & storage. During day time, most will do fine.

Here's a pro tip: if you witness an accident while driving with dash cam active, speak the license plate out loud! All dash cam also record audio. It's a lot easier to view the footage & write out the plate from your audio.
 

Dead Horse

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Sep 6, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
638
Reaction score
714
Location
Oklahoma
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I keep my mic turned off.

Mainly because when I die in a fiery ball of doom, the footage will be recovered, and the last words my loved ones will hear from me are belted out Taylor Swift songs.
 

Nodak

Platinum
Well-known member
First Name
JR
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
65
Messages
2,736
Reaction score
1,553
Location
ND
Vehicle(s)
2026 4R Platinum Underground, 2025 4R Platinum Heritage Blue
most of the high end dash cam's run a starvis 2 sensor, dont settle for less than that.

the viofo 329 series run starvis 2 sensor (so does the 119 mini)

viofo posts all the type sensor on the specs section of each camera

starvis 1 (also known as just "starvis" is the old gen sensor)
Sponsored

 
 







Top