Sponsored

Refused to Start Suddenly

xp0nex

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
149
Reaction score
88
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner ORP
I encountered my first issue with the 4Runner today. When I tried to start it, nothing happened. The message “Press pedal and push engine switch to start” kept appearing each time I pressed the start switch. Eventually, the message changed to “Press brake pedal and touch power switch with key.” I followed the instructions, but instead of starting, the vehicle only went into “Power On” mode. After another attempt, the engine finally started.

I had already drove the 4Runner throughout the day and there was no issues. The odometer just rolled over 1,400 miles, and the vehicle was delivered in October. Maybe I should also check the key fob battery? Can’t be dying after 2 months?
Sponsored

 

HanousJim

Limited
Active member
First Name
Jim
Joined
Mar 15, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
30
Reaction score
25
Location
99203
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner Limited
I've had the same thing a couple times... dealership couldn't find an answer...but maybe hold the keys up to the push button start. That seems to work for me.
 
OP
OP

xp0nex

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
149
Reaction score
88
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner ORP
I swapped out my key fob battery with a spare. Hopefully, that was the problem.
 

horbit

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Dec 14, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
223
Reaction score
157
Location
DFW
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Off Road Premium, 2026 Aprilia RS660
It sounds like the vehicle may be experiencing a weak key fob signal. You’ve already checked the simplest solution by replacing the fob battery. If the issue continues, radio-frequency interference may be the cause. Low-quality electronics and some LED devices can generate electromagnetic interference (EMI), which can disrupt signals used by key fobs and garage door openers. I recommend unplugging any recently installed third-party accessories, such as dash cameras—ideally at the power source, since the cable itself can act as an antenna and emit EMI. If the vehicle is garage-kept, also check that the garage door opener is not using an LED bulb, as these are a common source of interference.
 

watchbuzz

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Buzz
Joined
Nov 5, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
210
Reaction score
171
Location
East Coast, USA
Vehicle(s)
'25 4runner SR5, '19 Golf R
Sounds like a dead fob. Hold the fob up under the steering column.
 

Nodak

Platinum
Well-known member
First Name
JR
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
65
Messages
2,729
Reaction score
1,549
Location
ND
Vehicle(s)
2026 4R Platinum Underground, 2025 4R Platinum Heritage Blue
per the manual (which most dont read) in an emergency, press the fob directly on the PTS button if you have a weak or dead fob battery


or better yet, push the PTS button with the fob :)
Sponsored

 
 







Top