Sponsored

Meso customs dome and map lights - install experience?

jbol74

TRD Off-Road Premium
Active member
First Name
Jerrod
Joined
Oct 10, 2025
Threads
11
Messages
44
Reaction score
6
Location
99223
Vehicle(s)
2025 4runner trd off road
Opinions? I’m look at getting the set though I see the map lights are a b@*#h to install. Plus on one review I see it disabled the airbags. Anyone with experiences on this? Your help is appreciated. TIA
Sponsored

 

rosnaby

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
alex
Joined
Dec 25, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
76
Reaction score
32
Location
new jersey
Vehicle(s)
4runner trd off road premium hybrid
Opinions? I’m look at getting the set though I see the map lights are a b@*#h to install. Plus on one review I see it disabled the airbags. Anyone with experiences on this? Your help is appreciated. TIA
I did the dome light, very easy and well worth it. Wont do the map light because as you said, it’s a B and a half, and higher chance to mess something up with air bag or sensors… also, the white led light on the dome light is so god damn bright, really dont even need the map light upgrade if you just turn on all interior lights when u need some.

Also got myself a trunk hatch light which is equally ridiculously bright, found this to be useful.

Still looking for ways to get more light up front where im driving, but i am personally not pulling down that center unit, id probably wire some aftermarket light to my pre set aux switch under my wheel to be honest because most light i need is down there when I lost something at my feet in the dark and then its easily controlled with a switch i probably wont ever need anyway
 

morsk

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
132
Reaction score
74
Location
NY
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5
I’ve installed the dome lights about a week or so ago and they’re great. I haven’t had the time to do the map lights yet and am not looking forward to it

where did you see that the air bags got disabled? Don’t think I’ve seen that review. One off or common?
 
OP
OP

jbol74

TRD Off-Road Premium
Active member
First Name
Jerrod
Joined
Oct 10, 2025
Threads
11
Messages
44
Reaction score
6
Location
99223
Vehicle(s)
2025 4runner trd off road
I’ve installed the dome lights about a week or so ago and they’re great. I haven’t had the time to do the map lights yet and am not looking forward to it

where did you see that the air bags got disabled? Don’t think I’ve seen that review. One off or common?
On 4Runner lifestyle reviews
 

morsk

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
132
Reaction score
74
Location
NY
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5
Well, I'm working on this now. I was able to remove the unit with a lot of force, but it went pretty easily.

I'm working on removing the bezel now and that is proving to be more difficult that I had originally projected
 
OP
OP

jbol74

TRD Off-Road Premium
Active member
First Name
Jerrod
Joined
Oct 10, 2025
Threads
11
Messages
44
Reaction score
6
Location
99223
Vehicle(s)
2025 4runner trd off road
Well, I'm working on this now. I was able to remove the unit with a lot of force, but it went pretty easily.

I'm working on removing the bezel now and that is proving to be more difficult that I had originally projected
Keep us posted please
 

mtk_rob

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Rob
Joined
Aug 10, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
54
Reaction score
53
Location
New York
Vehicle(s)
2025 4runner Trailhunter
this was the worst mod, lol. it was easier cutting the front bumper fascia to make room for a winch than it was to install these f*cking lights. the replacement part is like $400 too. they look great once they're in though.
 

morsk

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
132
Reaction score
74
Location
NY
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5
Keep us posted please
Alright, I've just finished installing these. My fingers are all mangled up lol.

I was not keeping track of time, but I figure this mod took me about 1.5 to 2 hours, all in. But that includes me struggling with the plastic clips, giving up, cursing, and returning back to the worktable to give it another shot. I'm also not the most experienced modifier in the world so there's that as well.

Step 1 in removing the unit out was not as bad as I had thought, as I mentioned above. My unit was on TIGHT, and before sticking my fingers up there, I used a trim tool to pry around a bit and maneuvered my fingers in there as deep as I could. I hate plastic - especially hard plastic that is expensive to replace if broken - so I told myself that I will give this one good attempt and if it doesn't work, I'll just stick with the OEM lights. Well, I gave it a hard tug with a loud groan, and it came out no problem. I was honestly surprised.

The next step is to remove the trim which is held on by a bunch of clips. There are 6 (IIRC) clips around the corners that you need to unhook and a bunch more which will come out naturally once those 6 are out. This part took me a while and was the worst part. Everything after that was relatively straight forward.

Once I got everything in place, I kept the trim piece off (just in case I needed to go back to the bench and fix something) and took the assembled unit to the 4Runner to plug in and test. At first, I got a message over the speakers where the lady said "Communication Module Failed, please contact dealer" (I may be misremembering the exact wording but it was something like that. I realized that my plugs were not connected all the way, so I fixed that and reinstalled and had no problems after that.

I just took a quick 15-minute drive (it's gusting to like 70mph with this nor'easter rn) and I don't have any messages, errors, etc. Lights and rear hatch operate perfectly. I sat in the passenger seat and the airbags were activated. As far as I can tell, it was a successful install.

Overall, this was a bitch of a mod and I hope the lights last because I do not want to revisit this again. Probably a 4/5 in terms of difficulty and it's all due to the plastic clips. Conceptually, it's a simple mod.

It's daylight so you can't really tell but these are way way brighter than OEM.

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Meso customs dome and map lights - install experience? IMG_0437
2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Meso customs dome and map lights - install experience? IMG_0438
 

williams23

SR5
Member
First Name
Marvin
Joined
Oct 10, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
5
Reaction score
4
Location
Arizona
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner SR5 Heritage Blue
I do not have any pictures at the moment, but the map lights were easy to install once the whole unit let loose. It says you have to drill holes, but I just repinned the wires after routing the wires through the holes already present. Been installed for over 6 months, and not a single issue with airbags or any other issues.
 

mcd_ovrlnd

TRD Pro
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2026
Threads
40
Messages
427
Reaction score
231
Location
SE PA
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD PRO
I installed both. The map lights were a bitch but I just set aside the time and went slow. I did break one of the clips getting that skinny trim off. Frankly that is the hardest part. I was able to clip some plastic, put the clip back with gorilla glue and let is sit for a day. Reattached fine. I was a little miffed however to get the entire thing re-installed only to find the passenger map light will not click on by depressing it but it will come on if I flip the switch. Not worth going through all that again to figure out what is wrong. It works if I switch it on. No airbag issues that I am aware of.
 

mcd_ovrlnd

TRD Pro
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2026
Threads
40
Messages
427
Reaction score
231
Location
SE PA
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD PRO
Well, I'm working on this now. I was able to remove the unit with a lot of force, but it went pretty easily.

I'm working on removing the bezel now and that is proving to be more difficult that I had originally projected
The key is to know which latch you are working on. There are two types in the design. The one you have to push up underneath it. The other one that looks like the end of salad tongs you have to spread apart as the secure themselves by pinching around something.
 

ROBERT18452

Limited
Well-known member
First Name
Robert
Joined
Jun 9, 2025
Threads
24
Messages
110
Reaction score
57
Location
Scranton, Pennsyltuckey
Vehicle(s)
25 Gen6 4runner limited
I have installed all of the overhead MESO Customs lamps and experienced no difficulty. I am anxiously awaiting thier puddle lights and replacement lamps for the cargo area.
 

Henry

Well-known member
First Name
Henry
Joined
Feb 7, 2024
Threads
54
Messages
222
Reaction score
393
Location
CT
Vehicle(s)
2018 4runner; 2025 TRD Pro on deposit
 







Top