Sponsored

Ditch lights: Amber or LED for night beach driving and light trails?

ThatSickRIp

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
TSR
Joined
Jul 11, 2026
Threads
14
Messages
220
Reaction score
88
Location
VA
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner SR5
Complete lighting rookie. Which ditch light color, amber or LED for night beach driving and light trails?

LED is my natural choice after having them for every other light, but I know that I dont know anything with lighting on a 4R, so help would be appreciated
Sponsored

 

mcd_ovrlnd

TRD Pro
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2026
Threads
40
Messages
433
Reaction score
235
Location
SE PA
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD PRO
Yellow for me but I have clear lenses I can swap out if the conditions call for it.
 

BonRunner

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
15
Messages
443
Reaction score
512
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2026 TRD Sport Premium / WCP
Choose amber ditch lights if you frequently drive in dust, fog, snow, or heavy rain, and choose white lights if you need maximum distance and clarity in clear weather.

I have the Baja Designs Squadron 2.0 with white lights. I also purchased the yellow cover for the ditch lights to use when needed. Best of both world!

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Ditch lights: Amber or LED for night beach driving and light trails? 20260921_195615


2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Ditch lights: Amber or LED for night beach driving and light trails? squadron2-rock-guards-hero-1024x683
 

Bernie

TRD Pro
Well-known member
Joined
Feb 17, 2025
Threads
22
Messages
130
Reaction score
173
Location
23221
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mercedes AMG GTc
My ditch lights are from Rigid. I keep them on Amber to color match the turn signal/running lights. I believe that my flipping the on switch you can toggles them to different colors, but I haven't tried it.
 

T_Pomp

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Anthony
Joined
Aug 11, 2025
Threads
13
Messages
243
Reaction score
157
Location
Illinois
Vehicle(s)
2025 TRD Off Road Premium
Complete lighting rookie. Which ditch light color, amber or LED for night beach driving and light trails?

LED is my natural choice after having them for every other light, but I know that I dont know anything with lighting on a 4R, so help would be appreciated
Why not both? I went with Nacho Off Road lights - Supreme. They come with yellow lens covers and have 4 available different patterns, each with three levels of brightness. I have them wired so I can use them as driving lights, fog lights, or spot lights.

Cool thing about these lights-they shut themselves down or dim the brightness if they sense your power source (battery) is low.

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Ditch lights: Amber or LED for night beach driving and light trails? IMG_6517


2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Ditch lights: Amber or LED for night beach driving and light trails? IMG_6514
 

127.0.0.1

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
839
Reaction score
726
Location
earf
Vehicle(s)
a bunch of Toyotas
imho amber works but is too dark
you need yellow if you want max visibility in dust/rain/snow

yellow cuts thru rain, fog, and dust best, amber is ehh, ok but is dimmer/darker

dust is what you will see the most of driving around on unpaved roads

the specific yellow frequency that stickerfab uses in the yellow acrylic version v2
snap-in OEM fog light filters is very good. also just some basic KAPTON
tape (often used as 3D printing base surface release) produces the
right sort of yellow
 

rosnaby

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
alex
Joined
Dec 25, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
76
Reaction score
32
Location
new jersey
Vehicle(s)
4runner trd off road premium hybrid
Complete lighting rookie. Which ditch light color, amber or LED for night beach driving and light trails?

LED is my natural choice after having them for every other light, but I know that I dont know anything with lighting on a 4R, so help would be appreciated
I have m&r automotive ditch lights that come with 2 settings, high powered white LED that are not street legal because of how bright they are, and amber low powered running light that is street legal. You can put both on at the same time too but the white is so god damn bright its hard to tell the amber is on when you do this. I almost never use the amber on road unless its super bad conditions out like actively downpouring or actively snowing. But the times ive gone offroading or snow driving and used the amber, it definitely helps others see you (i dont really think it helps visibility at all, the stock fog lights do better)

Sounds like what i have would work well for beach driving at night where you definitely want a white led, its like 2 cop spot lights on each side, they really shine up everything depending on the angle you point… ill eventually upgrade the stock fog lights to a higher power led street legal version as well (i assume white but possibly amber, i just think white serves more purpose for me on east coast) and then would basically be all setup from a light standpoint (not trying to add a lightbar or upgrade headlights, just no need at that point), and I already have a trailer
Hitch light for backing up at night easier and increasing visibility for those behind me on dusty trails (I dont own a trailer but keep all necessary locks and hitches on me incase i do need to switch it out on trail for any reason)

Also was kind of a noob prior to hooking all this crap up and doing the research myself, but im pretty happy with my outcome and definitely didnt spend nearly as much as lightbar or headlight upgrades would be (only do stuff im comfortable diy’ing)
 

Silver Bullet

TRD Off-Road Premium
Active member
First Name
D
Joined
Aug 16, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
34
Reaction score
13
Location
Cali
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner TRD ORP
As already stated be several, you can run Yellow (or Amber) in foggy, dusty conditions. Clear for maximum output/visibility on clear nights.

I do agree with what someone else stated. Run a Baja yellow for better performance over Amber. IMO I feel you get more “clarity”. I also have the BAJA Designs Squadron 2.0 with clear wide pattern lenses, but you can also switch those lens out for other beam patterns and colors. Like Baja yellow (I bought) amber and clear. Or, you can get rock guards in baja yellow (also bought) amber or clear for a quick change…

Auxbeam (a good budget) has nice lighting that you can also switch covers out. Their new Master T Series looks and seems pretty good!
Sponsored

 
 







Top