Sponsored

Odor/mildew smell from window mouldings on 2025 TRD Sport Premium (issue: muoldings are holding moisture / water)

CuttingedgeSport

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Apr 20, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
47
Reaction score
45
Location
Wisconsin
Vehicle(s)
2025 TRD Sport 4wd
I wanted to post my experience in case anyone else is noticing a funky odor that they can’t pinpoint on their 4Runner or other similar tnga chassis vehicle or Toyota product.

Also, I want to preface that we are really enjoying our new 2025 4Runner TRD sport premium overall, and this is something that has been bothering us since we got it new back in April of 2025


After a rain or a car wash, the window trim belt mouldings/felts hold moisture for days, and eventually get a a very musty/mildewy smell to them. The window will actually be wet if you roll it up and down after even a few days sometimes.

If you are chasing a funky odor that you can’t pinpoint the location, but you can replicate when it is most intense, this will help.

I went to the car wash Thursday night and by Friday morning, the smell was very strong in the window mouldings where it touches the bottom of the windows at all windows, including the back glass.

This smell is exacerbated and accelerated when it is warmer outside, as it would be less noticeable before I went to the car wash if it had not been wet for a week or more.

I would go through the wash, get out and wipe off the car, then go to the grocery store next door. By the time I spent 10 minutes in the store, the belt mouldings were already starting to smell very strong.

I eliminated the smell from the AC system as turning on the heat didn’t help, nor did changing to a charcoal cabin filter. The cabin filter does help remove the smell some as you drive when the ac is on and the windows are closed. As soon as you stop, it is back.

Needless to say, I took it to the dealer on Friday after washing it Thursday night.

They called and said it was ready to be picked up anytime, and they are replacing all of the lower window belt mouldings on all the glass positions. They confirmed the mouldings are holding moisture and have a very strong odor.


Of course, those parts are on backorder now, but at least we found a solution.

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen Odor/mildew smell from window mouldings on 2025 TRD Sport Premium (issue: muoldings are holding moisture / water) IMG_1305
Sponsored

 
Last edited:

watchbuzz

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Buzz
Joined
Nov 5, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
212
Reaction score
172
Location
East Coast, USA
Vehicle(s)
'25 4runner SR5, '19 Golf R
FWIW,I had the same experience on my SR5. After researching it for a bit, I opted to just let it ride. It seems to be a common complaint for Toyotas. Especially for people who ride with their windows down and park outside and live in warmer areas :)

The car is a year old now and the smell barely happens now even on hot days after rain. So, it does wear off in my experience.
 
OP
OP

CuttingedgeSport

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Apr 20, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
47
Reaction score
45
Location
Wisconsin
Vehicle(s)
2025 TRD Sport 4wd
The thing is, I live in north Central Wisconsin. The smell is bad even in this cool part of fall where the temp doesn’t get over 70. Heck, it even smelled in freezing temps while in the garage…
 

Vincenzo

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
398
Reaction score
303
Location
Southeast
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Something is clearly going on. Came out from work a few weeks ago and found every window had condensation on the inside from sitting in the sun. It’s a literal greenhouse
 

ScoMay

TRD Pro
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
123
Reaction score
53
Location
Tennessee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram 1500 Rebel
Needless to say, I took it to the dealer on Friday after washing it Thursday night.

They called and said it was ready to be picked up anytime, and they are replacing all of the lower window belt mouldings on all the glass positions. They confirmed the mouldings are holding moisture and have a very strong odor.


Of course, those parts are on backorder now, but at least we found a solution.

IMG_1305.webp
The dealer is replacing the moldings, but are they replacing the moldings with the exact same molding material? Doesn’t that mean the problem will eventually reoccur? Or are they using a different type of molding material?

I hope they are solving your problem and not just creating a new cycle of replacement every so often.
 
OP
OP

CuttingedgeSport

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Apr 20, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
47
Reaction score
45
Location
Wisconsin
Vehicle(s)
2025 TRD Sport 4wd
The dealer is replacing the moldings, but are they replacing the moldings with the exact same molding material? Doesn’t that mean the problem will eventually reoccur? Or are they using a different type of molding material?

I hope they are solving your problem and not just creating a new cycle of replacement every so often.
I agree that’s a worry I already had in mind. Apparently, other people have complained about this on the new generation Landcruisers and some highlanders, so it is possibly isolated to certain date of manufacture.
If the design is holding moisture, and it isn’t revised on the new ones, I will be concerned.

I am going to ask to take pics of the new ones and the old ones that are removed.
Sponsored

 
 







Top