Clodydeloady

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GCL Overland 2021
The new 4runner is supposed to share same powertrain as the new Tacoma, so the exhaust tail pipe on driver's side in these pics makes sense.

2024 Tacoma exhaust

taco.jpg
The Spy photo shows the tail pipe going straight down

2025 Toyota 4runner 2025 4Runner Spied Testing in Public! First Prototype Pics IMG_9173

TimL

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma Sport
The Spy photo shows the tail pipe going straight down

IMG_9173.png
Oh I just meant the location of the exhaust on the driver's side -- like the rest of the TNGA-F Platform vehicles (Land Cruiser, Tacoma). The actual tip design / angle, etc. may vary slightly.

JIMIPRO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 4R V8, 24 4Runner TRD Pro, 67 Dodge R/T
I also hope that the bar between the tail lights is just a decoy. I like the clean tailgate look with separate tail lights. I don't want it to look like a GX550 or Land Cruiser.

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
I also hope that the bar between the tail lights is just a decoy. I like the clean tailgate look with separate tail lights. I don't want it to look like a GX550 or Land Cruiser.
I think the Camry when it got caught driving around, also had the weird red/yellow tape. Might be a full width light bar

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
So, what are the odds it will be manufactured on this side of the pond, in the United States, Canada, or possibly Mexico? I think good, and not a positive thing, as the new LC and GX are runaway successes, hence the Japanese plants will be more than busy pumping them out.

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
So, what are the odds it will be manufactured on this side of the pond, in the United States, Canada, or possibly Mexico? I think good, and not a positive thing, as the new LC and GX are runaway successes, hence the Japanese plants will be more than busy pumping them out.
Not likely. The 4Runner is currently built in Japan and will continue to be built there. Tacoma makes sense to be built in Mexico but 4Runner doesn’t even if it’s the same Powertrain/Platform. If I’m not mistaken Japan builds the Land Cruiser, 4Runner, GX and LX.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Not likely. The 4Runner is currently built in Japan and will continue to be built there. Tacoma makes sense to be built in Mexico but 4Runner doesn’t even if it’s the same Powertrain/Platform. If I’m not mistaken Japan builds the Land Cruiser, 4Runner, GX and LX.
I hope you are correct. Yes, those mentioned are built in Japan. However, is the 4Runner a North America only marketed machine, or worldwide? It seems I recall the former. This could have an impact on the decision.

Last edited:

Clodydeloady

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GCL Overland 2021
I hope you are correct. Yes, those mentioned are built in Japan. However, is the 4Runner a USA only marketed machine, or worldwide? It seems I recall the former. This could have an impact on the decision.
The new Tacoma is build in Mexico and rumours are the 4Runners similarly could make it build there too.

2chains

First Name
ruder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 4runner Limited Blizzard Pearl
Yes! Finally spotted over the pond. Most important factor ...I don't see a bump at the bottom of the rear window. We all know what that would mean if true!

Any other super sleuths see the same thing?

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
I hope you are correct. Yes, those mentioned are built in Japan. However, is the 4Runner a North America only marketed machine, or worldwide? It seems I recall the former. This could have an impact on the decision.
The 4Runner main market is North America. Although it would be better to switch over, the current rumour is that it’ll be built in Japan still. Could they surprise us and build it in Mexico, possibly but it’s slim chance as nothing has changed in the Mexico plant.

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
Yes! Finally spotted over the pond. Most important factor ...I don't see a bump at the bottom of the rear window. We all know what that would mean if true!

Any other super sleuths see the same thing?
Nothing fully stands out to me other than the red tape across the back tailgate. The one thing I’m glad to see even with all the cladding added to it is that it looks about 1.5-2 inches wider which is a given since the Tacoma is wider then it’s predecessor. Looking forward to seeing if new spy shots show up today.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
The 4Runner main market is North America. Although it would be better to switch over, the current rumour is that it’ll be built in Japan still. Could they surprise us and build it in Mexico, possibly but it’s slim chance as nothing has changed in the Mexico plant.
Are there not two plants in Mexico? I am not up to speed on what Toyota builds there, other than the Tacoma. Possibly only the Taco?

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
Are there not two plants in Mexico? I am not up to speed on what Toyota builds there, other than the Tacoma. Possibly only the Taco?
Yes they have 2 plants. One in Tijuana and one in Guanajuato. Both Plants currently build the Tacoma. Guanajuato though builds truck beds as well unlike the one in Tijuana.

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Seems like a bit wider track width which is good (2.5 inches?). Hoping the TRD Pro will accommodate 35" tires AND there's a 17" wheel available.
Sharing the F platform is definitely widening the Midsize vehicles, at least in terms of track width. You can pull up spec sheets for the '24 GX and LX- the dimensions are way closer than you'd think. Hopefully someone can get measurements soon to see if a "Tundra swap" is possible, just like the old "Titan swap" on the Frontier. While I don't think 35s will be a problem at all, so far all the Hybrid models come with at least 18" wheels. I'm pretty sure it's to accommodate the bigger brakes that go with the higher curb weight.