Sponsored

Gerardo

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Gerardo
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Threads
11
Messages
124
Reaction score
102
Location
PNW
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off-Road Premium
I priced out my first diff and transfer case service on my 2025 TRD Off-Road Premium (part-time 4WD). I'm planning to DIY it soon: I'm at ~13.4K miles and want to do a break-in change by 15K, then probably every 30K after that. Prices are as of September 2026. Confirm part numbers and capacities for your own VIN.

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic, just sharing my research. The aftermarket options follow The Car Care Nut's approach: OEM for most fluids, but quality aftermarket gear oil is fine for the diffs and transfer case.

Specs (owner's manual)

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen 2025+ 4Runner Diff & Transfer Case Fluid Guide: Part Numbers, Torque Specs & Prices IMG_1471

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen 2025+ 4Runner Diff & Transfer Case Fluid Guide: Part Numbers, Torque Specs & Prices IMG_1470


ComponentFluidCapacity
Front diffToyota Differential Gear Oil LT 75W-85 GL-5 (or equivalent)1.4 qt part-time 4WD / 1.3 qt full-time
Rear diffToyota Differential Gear Oil LT 75W-85 GL-5 (or equivalent)5.9 qt
Transfer caseToyota Transfer Gear Oil LF (or equivalent)1.2 qt part-time 4WD / 1.5 qt full-time

Buy: 8 qt diff oil and 2 bottles of transfer case fluid. (Some guides say 6 qt for the diffs, that's the Tacoma number.)

OEM parts (dealer counter prices)

PartPart #QtyPriceTotal
Diff Gear Oil LT (qt)00279-DGOLT-018$44.32$354.56
Transfer Gear Oil LF (1 L)00279-DGOLF2$66.20$132.40
Gasket, transfer case drain & fill90430-A00032$2.64$5.28
Gasket, front diff fill + rear diff drain & fill12157-100103$2.64$7.92
Gasket, front diff drain90430-240171$3.31$3.31
Total$503.47

Dealer labor quote for all three services: $292.50, for a total of ~$800 to have the dealer do the job.

Save up to ~30% on OEM parts online

Many Toyota dealer parts sites sell below MSRP, but discounts vary a lot by dealer. Free shipping kicks in over $75. Examples I found:
Toyota parts sales can stack on top, so it's worth waiting for one if you're not due yet.

Dealers I've found with bigger online discounts:

Aftermarket options

  • Diffs: Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-85. Confirmed by Amsoil for our diffs. Comes in easy-fill pouches. 8 qt was $165.12 shipped with the $10 six-month member trial (members get free shipping).
  • Diffs: Red Line 75W-85 GL-5. Confirmed by Red Line for our diffs. About $155 for 8 qt on Amazon (two 4-qt packs), about the same as Amsoil. Comes in bottles, not pouches, so you'll want a fluid pump like a Slippery Pete.
  • Transfer case: Red Line MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4. Confirmed by Red Line for our transfer case. About $25/qt. Red Line's OEM Compatibility tab and data sheet both list: Toyota/Lexus transfer case fluid "Genuine Gear Oil LF 75W" 08885-81080. Not for diffs.
About that part number: 08885-81080 is an older part number for the same Toyota Transfer Gear Oil LF (current part number 00279-DGOLF). Per this BITOG post (confirmed with a Toyota dealer parts manager via Toyota Motor Sales):
  • 08885-81080: discontinued (old can)
  • 08885-81081: discontinued (plastic bottle)
  • 08885-01806: discontinued, replaced 08885-81080
  • 00279-DGOLF: current, replaced 08885-01806

9/28 Update: Confirmed by the manufacturers. I emailed Amsoil and Red Line tech support, and here's what they recommend for the 2025 4Runner:
  • Red Line Technical Services (diffs): Red Line 75W-85 GL-5 is suitable for applications calling for Toyota Genuine Differential Gear Oil LT 75W-85 GL-5, front and rear, on both the i-FORCE and i-FORCE MAX 4Runner.
  • Red Line Technical Services (transfer case): Recommends MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 (SKU 50604) for the 2025 4Runner 2.4L with part-time 4WD. They cross-reference it to Toyota Genuine Transfer Gear Oil LF, including 08885-81080.
  • Amsoil Technical Services (diffs): Recommends Severe Gear 75W-85 (product code SVLPK) for the front and rear diffs on the 2025 4Runner 2.4L.
  • Amsoil Technical Services (transfer case): They don't currently have a fluid that matches Toyota's transfer case requirements, but said one may be in development.

Cost comparison (dealer vs. DIY)

OptionApprox. total
Dealer does it (parts + labor)~$800
DIY: All OEM fluids + OEM gaskets, dealer counter~$500
DIY: All OEM fluids + OEM gaskets, online (~30% off)~$350 (~$265-$300 with stacked 15-25% Toyota sale)
DIY: Amsoil 75W-85 diffs + Toyota transfer case fluid online + OEM gaskets~$270 (~$240-$255 with stacked 15-25% Toyota sale)
DIY: Red Line 75W-85 diffs (Amazon) + Toyota transfer case fluid online + OEM gaskets~$260 (~$230-$245 with stacked 15-25% Toyota sale)
DIY: Amsoil 75W-85 diffs + Red Line MT-LV (Amazon) + OEM gaskets~$230
DIY: Red Line 75W-85 diffs + Red Line MT-LV (both Amazon) + OEM gaskets~$220
OEM gaskets alone won't hit the $75 free-shipping minimum, so the last two rows use dealer counter price for OEM gaskets (~$16.50). Some dealer sites offer free in-store pickup, which gets you the online price instead.

Quick notes

  • Viscosity: Toyota specifies 75W-85 for the diffs (owner's manual) and SAE 75W for the transfer case (factory service manual). They're different fluids, so don't swap them. From asking Claude (AI), not the manual: straight 75W is much thinner than diff oil when hot, and 75W-90 is a common diff alternative that's a bit thicker than 75W-85 (The Car Care Nut uses it), but it's outside the printed spec.
  • If you pay a shop, ask what goes in the transfer case. One local dealer told me they use bulk 75W-90 there.
  • Check the breathers: Tip from The Car Care Nut: When you service the rear diff, check the breather, the small cap on top of the axle housing. It should move freely and not be clogged/seized. FWIW, this is new to me. Also, from asking Claude (AI): The factory service manual shows breather hoses on the front diff and transfer case, so check that those are connected and not kinked. A blocked breather can build pressure and push oil past the seals.

Torque specs

From Toyota's factory service manual (they match Henry's Differential Fluid Change DIY Guide, which has the full diff procedure).

PlugToolTorqueCrush washer
Front diff fill10 mm hex bit29 ft-lb12157-10010
Front diff drain10 mm hex bit48 ft-lb90430-24017
Rear diff fill24 mm socket36 ft-lb12157-10010
Rear diff drain24 mm socket36 ft-lb12157-10010
Transfer case fill & drain24 mm socket*27 ft-lb90430-A0003
  • Transfer case torque is the same for both transfer cases in the manual (VF2DM and VF4CM).
  • Transfer case fill level (factory service manual): 0-5 mm (0-0.2 in) below the bottom lip of the fill hole. Wait about 5 minutes and recheck. The manual warns that too much or too little oil can cause transfer problems.
  • *24 mm is what the 4th gen Tacoma and LC250 use; I'll confirm on my 4Runner when I do mine.

How-to videos
Tacoma and Land Cruiser 250 videos (same TNGA-F platform). Use the 4Runner capacities above.
Sponsored

 
Last edited:

SteveS

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
92
Reaction score
67
Location
Puyallup, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 SR5, 2023 Range Rover Sport
Awesome detail. I think I will not do the DIY route being older and lazy.
 

ScoMay

TRD Pro
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
121
Reaction score
53
Location
Tennessee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram 1500 Rebel
Thorough and detailed. Excellent job and thanks for taking the time to do this write-up.

Even if some (me included!) prefer to leave it up to the dealer to do these things at least fellow forum members will know how much more they are paying for that luxury.
 

Don

TRD Sport
New member
First Name
Don
Joined
Sep 25, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
NY
Vehicle(s)
2025 6th gen 4runner
Wow! Great detail. I was a tech for 40 years and have done all these services many times. They are messy and a lot of the drain/fill holes are very difficult to get to even if you have a lift. I'm 65 now and have the 25 TDR 4runner. After breaking down the costs you listed I will be having my services done by an independent shop. Labor rates can be 25-40% less than at the dealers. Fluid changes is not rocket science so most independents should be able to handle it. (do your research though, all techs are not created equally) On the other hand if you love being a DIYer just so you know your vehicle better and don't mind the mess then go for it.
 
OP
OP
Gerardo

Gerardo

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Gerardo
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Threads
11
Messages
124
Reaction score
102
Location
PNW
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off-Road Premium
Wow! Great detail. I was a tech for 40 years and have done all these services many times. They are messy and a lot of the drain/fill holes are very difficult to get to even if you have a lift. I'm 65 now and have the 25 TDR 4runner. After breaking down the costs you listed I will be having my services done by an independent shop. Labor rates can be 25-40% less than at the dealers. Fluid changes is not rocket science so most independents should be able to handle it. (do your research though, all techs are not created equally) On the other hand if you love being a DIYer just so you know your vehicle better and don't mind the mess then go for it.
Thank you for sharing this, @Don!

I've seen older vehicles do not have a drain plug, instead you gotta open the "pumpkin" in half to drain the gear oil. To that, I say "no thank you". Seems way too messy. 😅

The videos I shared make it seem totally doable for a DIY newbie like myself. I had a 2007 Ford F150 SuperCrew before this 25 4Runner that lasted me 240K miles. I did try my best to maintain it, but I took it to shops. Mostly okay, but I've since learned there's more than just oil changes. (For example, I only did one transmission fluid change at 60K miles. Oops. You don't know what you don't know…)

With my 4Runner, I had a bad experience with my 1K break-in oil change at a local Toyota dealership (invoice showed wrong oil and only 4.4 qts), so I got inspired by my friend to figure out how to do my first DIY oil change. Since then, I've been hooked. I've done one 5-tire rotation and 4 oil changes myself. My confidence has grown and it seems like the differentials + transfer case are a good next level up for me to do. I'm actually excited about it. You said it very well, it feels good to know your vehicle better. :)
 

TMLifer

Limited
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
172
Reaction score
82
Location
US
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Limited iForce Max Hybrid
Thank you for sharing this, @Don!

I've seen older vehicles do not have a drain plug, instead you gotta open the "pumpkin" in half to drain the gear oil. To that, I say "no thank you". Seems way too messy. 😅

The videos I shared make it seem totally doable for a DIY newbie like myself. I had a 2007 Ford F150 SuperCrew before this 25 4Runner that lasted me 240K miles. I did try my best to maintain it, but I took it to shops. Mostly okay, but I've since learned there's more than just oil changes. (For example, I only did one transmission fluid change at 60K miles. Oops. You don't know what you don't know…)

With my 4Runner, I had a bad experience with my 1K break-in oil change at a local Toyota dealership (invoice showed wrong oil and only 4.4 qts), so I got inspired by my friend to figure out how to do my first DIY oil change. Since then, I've been hooked. I've done one 5-tire rotation and 4 oil changes myself. My confidence has grown and it seems like the differentials + transfer case are a good next level up for me to do. I'm actually excited about it. You said it very well, it feels good to know your vehicle better. :)
Ouch! Sorry to hear that happened to you. Your bad experience with your break-in oil change at the dealership sounds like they had an apprentice or junior technician perform the oil change without much supervision. The 4.4 quarts of oil sounds like the oil volume spec for a Corolla hybrid or Corolla Cross hybrid. If the technician got the oil requirements confused, I'm guessing that they probably put in 0W-16 motor oil (grade of oil that Corolla and Corolla Cross use) instead of 0W-20 motor oil.
Sponsored

 
Last edited:
 







Top