Sponsored

To Rack It or Not To Rack It

Wandering Sagebrush

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
May 19, 2026
Threads
8
Messages
53
Reaction score
38
Location
NE Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner TRD Off Road
I’m tossing around the idea of adding one of the full length racks, even though it would only be used a couple of trips per year. I’m not sure it’s worth the $ or the effort, but still interested.

A couple of questions… what is the impact to MPG, and is there much wind noise? Another is since my 4R is not garaged, how difficult does it make snow removal from the top? I don’t want to have a windshield covered by snow after a quick top.

If I do decide to add a rack, is there any consensus about the best quality?
Sponsored

 
OP
OP
Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
May 19, 2026
Threads
8
Messages
53
Reaction score
38
Location
NE Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner TRD Off Road
Is there wind noise yes. Now is that an issue that’s not something that can be answere. After my time on this forum the slightest noise can set some other off 😂. It doesn’t bother me.
Thanks, I’m used to it as well, but did remove my crossbars to improve mileage.
 

shine

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Mar 8, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
258
Reaction score
249
Location
Seattle
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner Trailhunter, 2008 4Runner SR5
what is the impact to MPG, and is there much wind noise?
Haven't measured either, but yes there is noise impact from adding a roof rack. I have a snap on fairing covering the lightbar on my rack, and it makes a big difference for both reducing noise and keeping the lightbar clean. I only take it off when I need to use the lightbar.

Another is since my 4R is not garaged, how difficult does it make snow removal from the top? I don’t want to have a windshield covered by snow after a quick top.
Not much impact. I can brush off any snow on top of my roof rack just as easy as if I didn't have a rack, and any snow between the roof and the bottom of the rack is held back by the fairing.

If I do decide to add a rack, is there any consensus about the best quality?
Most seem to get an 8020 / bolt-together type rack. I am very happy with the Gamiviti rack on my 4th gen. It's welded together, so I know it won't come apart, and it is made to order with all the features you want and none of the features that you don't want. You'll be working with the owner on designing your specific rack, and he gives great advice without trying to upsell you on more than what you need.
 

ThatSickRIp

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
TSR
Joined
Jul 11, 2026
Threads
14
Messages
210
Reaction score
79
Location
VA
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner SR5
I was back and forth for a while and did a ton of reading and posting here on them. I was thinking I could compromise and use some of the platform racks that build off of the existing roof rails, but I laid out all the stuff we'd need to carry on a trip and the full rack was what I would need to carry it.
We have 2 dogs that get the cargo area, and I cant expect them to ride back there for 6+ hours crammed with luggage, so that was a huge part of my decision as well.

You can also look into the cargo carriers that go on the trailer hitch. Ive used those before with no issue, but if we get a flat and thats on the back as well as the dogs in the cargo, thatll be a PITA to get to the spare. Night time or bad weather would make it even worse
 
Last edited:

Mattb124

TRD Off-Road
Active member
First Name
Matt
Joined
Nov 7, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
29
Reaction score
11
Location
San Jose, CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD Off-Road
I second the hitch rack if you are going to use it infrequently. Far less expensive and much easier to load. The considerations there are how much extra space you actually need (roof rack wins there if you need a lot), departure angle, and how much overlander street cred per dollar spent you want if you are into that sort of thing.
 

spyder40

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Apr 7, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
236
Reaction score
129
Location
Indiana
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Runner ORP
Had a Sherpa on my 5th gen and now on my 6th gen. 5th gen made a little noise but 6th gen I haven't noticed which surprised me. Not enough driving to know mpg yet due to not much highway but so far no change on around town stuff. Love the Sherpas. Solid strong and no leaks
Sponsored

 
 







Top