Sponsored

Electrical Advice - Installing Kingpin Light on Rear Hatch

mcd_ovrlnd

TRD Pro
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2026
Threads
41
Messages
438
Reaction score
237
Location
SE PA
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD PRO
I am no wiring wiz, so was looking for a plug and play way to wire up a Kingpin light on the rear hatch (https://kingpinequipped.com/collections/f-series-lights/products/f-series-28-light). The Kingpin has power requirements of 4 Watts (12V DC @ .3 Amps). It comes with a wire lead 12" in length, 20AWG, bare wire ends.

I purchased one of those Highflying dome lights for the rear hatch but decided not to use it.

The Highflying light comes with a harness that plugs into the power source used for the rear hatch open/close button. From what I've found on the internet, that power source is 12V DC. Could I install the harness and then cut off the dome light and splice the positive/negative end wires from its harness to the wires for the Kingpin light? Assuming the AWG used on the Highflying harness are adequate for the Kingpin since they both seem to use watts/amps in the same range.

Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
Sponsored

 

26RunnerORP

TRD Off-Road Premium
Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Apr 3, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Location
San Diego, CA
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
I actually did exactly this, I cut off the harness from that dome light and spliced in the kingpin light, and it works just fine!
 
OP
OP
mcd_ovrlnd

mcd_ovrlnd

TRD Pro
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2026
Threads
41
Messages
438
Reaction score
237
Location
SE PA
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD PRO
I actually did exactly this, I cut off the harness from that dome light and spliced in the kingpin light, and it works just fine!
Dude, this is awesome, thanks so much.
 

26RunnerORP

TRD Off-Road Premium
Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Apr 3, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Location
San Diego, CA
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
No problem! And it’ll come on when you open the hatch! I got this because it has the red option to match my Meso Customs dome lights
 

zcmack

TRD Off-Road Premium
Active member
Joined
Nov 8, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
42
Reaction score
19
Location
las vegas
Vehicle(s)
25 ORP
post a pic of the harness from the high flying light please, I'll find it on mcmaster.
 
OP
OP
mcd_ovrlnd

mcd_ovrlnd

TRD Pro
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2026
Threads
41
Messages
438
Reaction score
237
Location
SE PA
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD PRO
No problem! And it’ll come on when you open the hatch! I got this because it has the red option to match my Meso Customs dome lights
Now I want to disable all the other lights in the cargo area including the LED ones I paid extra for. They are so damn bright and you can’t turn any of them off.
 

26RunnerORP

TRD Off-Road Premium
Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Apr 3, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Location
San Diego, CA
Vehicle(s)
2026 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
Ya, it kinda sucks but hey, they match the courtesy light that come on at the bottom of the doors so I guess there’s that šŸ˜‚
 
OP
OP
mcd_ovrlnd

mcd_ovrlnd

TRD Pro
Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2026
Threads
41
Messages
438
Reaction score
237
Location
SE PA
Vehicle(s)
2025 4Runner TRD PRO
Ya, it kinda sucks but hey, they match the courtesy light that come on at the bottom of the doors so I guess there’s that šŸ˜‚
Question for you, did you mount the 28ā€ or 40ā€ Kingpin on the rear hatch?
Sponsored

 
 







Top