TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
The wheels on the 4runner prototype are the same as the 2024 Tacoma (on the right)

2025 4runner wheels.jpg
It’s interesting how it’s the same wheels but different tires. The tires on the 4Runner are more street oriented then off road like the ones on the Tacoma. Leads me to think it’s the TRD Sport

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
To me this looks like a shorter wheelbase than the J250, but could be an illusion from the much different greenhouse.

retirementOwl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
To me this looks like a shorter wheelbase than the J250, but could be an illusion from the much different greenhouse.
Not sure about that, but the 24 Tacoma's wheel base is about 4.5" longer relative to the 23, so I'd expect similar change to the new 4Runner. Will also be quite a bit wider (track) which is a welcome update!

IceColdNorth

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Not sure about that, but the 24 Tacoma's wheel base is about 4.5" longer relative to the 23, so I'd expect similar change to the new 4Runner. Will also be quite a bit wider (track) which is a welcome update!
Do you have a prediction on 4Runner width and height based on the Tacoma comp? We're basically trying to figure out how much wider/higher it might be since we have a small garage.

retirementOwl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Do you have a prediction on 4Runner width and height based on the Tacoma comp? We're basically trying to figure out how much wider/higher it might be since we have a small garage.
Yes, Since 4Runner and Tacoma are the same platform, I'd expect longer and wider for the 4Runner. I believe the Tacoma is 3" wider for lesser versions and 6" wider for the TRD Pro and Trail Hunter versions. I plan on getting the 4Runner TRD Pro and definitely like the added track width as the current 4Runner is too narrow imo. I also expect the premium off-road versions to be taller like the Tacoma, so maybe another 2"-2.5" higher?

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
Yes, Since 4Runner and Tacoma are the same platform, I'd expect longer and wider for the 4Runner. I believe the Tacoma is 3" wider for lesser versions and 6" wider for the TRD Pro and Trail Hunter versions. I plan on getting the 4Runner TRD Pro and definitely like the added track width as the current 4Runner is too narrow imo. I also expect the premium off-road versions to be taller like the Tacoma, so maybe another 2"-2.5" higher?
Based on the spy shot you can definitely see the width of the 4Runner especially in the Car and Driver ones. Really looking forward to seeing the 4Runner. I actually saw the 4th Gen Tacoma for the second time today in production form. Last time I saw it was Prototype and man do I love the new model!

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
According to Sheldon Brown, the Tacoma is mainly wider at the fenders. The cab width and door swing was kept the same on the Tacoma.

Old Spice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X3 currently
When I pull up images of the 2024 Tacoma in a similar angle, the wheelbase of this prototype looks shorter... anyone else think so?

I'm no good with computer graphics, can anyone superimpose the two for a wheelbase length comparison?

OP
OP

Henry

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4runner
When I pull up images of the 2024 Tacoma in a similar angle, the wheelbase of this prototype looks shorter... anyone else think so?

I'm no good with computer graphics, can anyone superimpose the two for a wheelbase length comparison?
Took a shot at doing this. If my attempt at sizing the tires/wheels to be the same size is accurate, it looks like the 6th gen 4Runner's wheelbase is a bit shorter than the new Tacoma's.

2025 Toyota 4runner 2025 4Runner spotted in Arizona near Toyota Proving Grounds (2/15/24) 2025 4runner vs 2024 tacoma

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
Took a shot at doing this. If my attempt at sizing the tires/wheels to be the same size is accurate, it looks like the 6th gen 4Runner's wheelbase is a bit shorter than the new Tacoma's.

2025 4runner vs 2024 tacoma.jpg
If I’m not mistaken, 3rd Gen Tacoma was longer then the 4Runner was

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, 3rd Gen Tacoma was longer then the 4Runner was
the 4th and 5th gen 4Runner had about the same wheelbase as the Standard cab 2nd gen Tacoma. The Access Cab and SB Double cab had about 18" longer wheelbase. the New 250 Series (GX/Prado/2024US LC) has the same 112" Wb that the big Landcruisers have had since the 80 series. The front axle centerline has moved forward on the GA-F, so the firewall to rear axle dimension is probably relatively unchanged. The Thai-built Fortuner has been a little shorter (at 108")than the 4Runner and Prado were. I somewhat expect the 6th Gen 4Runner to be closer related to the cheaper Fortuner than the upmarket Prado.
the 250 series, BTW is barely smaller than the 300series Landcruiser/LX.

4 Run Run Run

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport with manual transmission
the 4th and 5th gen 4Runner had about the same wheelbase as the Standard cab 2nd gen Tacoma. The Access Cab and SB Double cab had about 18" longer wheelbase. the New 250 Series (GX/Prado/2024US LC) has the same 112" Wb that the big Landcruisers have had since the 80 series. The front axle centerline has moved forward on the GA-F, so the firewall to rear axle dimension is probably relatively unchanged. The Thai-built Fortuner has been a little shorter (at 108")than the 4Runner and Prado were. I somewhat expect the 6th Gen 4Runner to be closer related to the cheaper Fortuner than the upmarket Prado.
the 250 series, BTW is barely smaller than the 300series Landcruiser/LX.
I don't know if the 6th Gen 4Runner will be any shorter than the 2024 Tacoma - but I would like a 108" wheelbase if that is the case - since that would make the wheelbase just 2" longer than an F J Cruiser wheelbase. Then pair that up with a manual transmission - making the 4Runner Funner. :D

Zerny

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Corolla SE
I hope we get another "leak" soon. I'm extremely excited to see, if anything I have a feeling it will share similar design characteristics with the new Tacoma. I just really want a rear window the slides down all the way!

TSlop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
~2026 4Runner
I hope we get another "leak" soon. I'm extremely excited to see, if anything I have a feeling it will share similar design characteristics with the new Tacoma. I just really want a rear window the slides down all the way!
I hope the Toyota FB page starts teasing in March or April, like they did with the Taco last year. Until today, they didn't have a post since February 21st, so I thought maybe they were gonna drop something big soon.