Sponsored

AT&T Hotspot - How to view Cellular Signal?

brumey

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
Feb 1, 2025
Threads
49
Messages
790
Reaction score
433
Location
Not made in China
Vehicle(s)
Bicycle
I know few folk are probably using this but, I paid a subscription for a year as I have a weird use case.

My issue is occasionally but all too frequent, I try to use the hotspot from my phone that auto connects and cannot. Apps report slow internet or timeout, etc. When this happens, I am not in a rural area but in open space in a very populated area, but I75, near a large mall, etc. It happens in other places too.

The signal strength on my phone shows full (to the in car wifi). How can I see the cellular signal that the car has to the tower?

I am seriously considering other solutions to this as we hope to have another vehicle in the next few months and I will not pay for something that is only on one vehicle. I will probably get a hotspot.

You would think that the Hotspot is using the shark fin antenna and should get a great signal?

I would welcome advice and any tips, hidden diagrams menus, etc.

If anyone is using another non-cellphone hotspot in a vehicle that costs less that $16.77 a month, let me know.

Thanks in advance....

Is it one of the small icons here on the top right?
2025 2026 4runner 6th gen AT&T Hotspot - How to view Cellular Signal? 1764010786442-ym
Sponsored

 
Last edited:

Nodak

Platinum
Well-known member
First Name
JR
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
65
Messages
2,735
Reaction score
1,553
Location
ND
Vehicle(s)
2026 4R Platinum Underground, 2025 4R Platinum Heritage Blue
mostly crickets since i think 99% of the people on here dont use the hotspot feature on a toyota. i mean you are the first person i know of across 4 different forums (tundras.com, 4runner.org, tacomaworld.com and here) that have used it.

i would use a hotspot for maybe a tablet or computer, never pay for the toyota hotspot since you are tied to the vehicle instead of a portable hotspot.

i mean i barely use my phone tether ability. i think ive used it 3 times in the last 10 yrs and it was for an emergency work laptop.
 

127.0.0.1

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
829
Reaction score
711
Location
earf
Vehicle(s)
a bunch of Toyotas
look for DCM signal bars on the display,
that is the basic strength of signal

In the Headunit
Menu > Apps > Communications > Wi-Fi Status
 

BonRunner

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Threads
15
Messages
428
Reaction score
484
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2026 TRD Sport Premium / WCP
literally a feature that no one needs or asked for! Just a money-grab from AT&T.
Sponsored

 
 







Top