Gastan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Pro
This is a good article on how the 6th gen 4Runner no longer uses KDSS, but has SDM instead.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/2025-toyota-4runner-kdss-offroad-stabilizer-disconnect-system/

From now on, e-KDSS is a Lexus-exclusive feature, and the 4Runner (as well as the related Tacoma and the new Land Cruiser) will make do with a less-sophisticated optional system, known as SDM. That stands for Stabilizer with Disconnection Mechanism. This is a conventional stabilizer bar with an electronic actuator directly mounted to the bar at the front axle. Push a button, and the actuator unlocks, allowing the two halves of the stabilizer bar to move independently. The system also increases wheel articulation.​

It’s the same idea as the front stabilizer bar disconnect system familiar to many Jeep owners as an option on some Wrangler models. But unlike e-KDSS (or the older KDSS system), it doesn’t operate on the rear axle. (That might actually be a benefit, as many owners found that KDSS didn’t improve rear axle articulation any.)​
What’s Better: e-KDSS or SDM?
This is sure to be fodder for many forum arguments for years to come, but of course each system has its advantages and disadvantages. SDM debuted on the 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser, so it’s a relatively new system for Toyota. One advantage is that it gives the driver total control over the front stabilizer bar’s state. E-KDSS, like the passive KDSS system before it, is automatic. Given its design it’s unlikely that a driver would want to override it. But SDM requires a button push to unlock the axle, and some drivers are going to appreciate that.​
Given that it’s a less extensive and less complex system than e-KDSS, it may also be easier to lift or otherwise modify a SDM-equipped 4Runner. In the Toyota Tacoma, which also gets the SDM hardware, the benefit is 10 percent more flex than the outgoing truck—a decent upgrade.​

Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 FJ
Not a big loss in my opinion. I don't think the KDSS take rate was very high. Rarely ever saw any 5th gen 4Runners equipped with it from dealers.

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
I don’t think it’s a major loss. I know a lot of people like having that feature on the 5th gen but I never saw one 4Runner on a dealership lot have one.

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
I don't know how true it is, but I was told that the KDSS helped considerably with body roll. This was coming from a dealer, mind you. I test drove a brand new 4Runner back in 2013, without the KDSS and it had more body roll than a fat chick on a balance beam. This was a real turnoff for me, since I tend to be a spirited driver and sometimes like to take turns a little bit harder. I'm hoping Toyota at least stiffened up the shocks a bit. I wonder if this system is comparable to the Bronco's swaybar disconnect, that will release under load.

doxidad

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ORP
I have had 3 4runners in the past 20 years. My first was a 2004 Sport - it had XREAS. It drove like a dream for 220K miles. I then got a 2015 SR5 - What a let down - it wallowed around corners - big difference - I guess I got spoiled. I currently have a 2017 ORP with KDSS. What a difference over stock. Around curves and cornering with normal on road driving it is a dream. The downside is that on a rough road you feel all the bumps. I'm curious on what the stock suspension on the 6th gen will feel like with/without the SDM.

Metal-tech 4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX470, FJ40, 6G Bronco Raptor
This "SDM" will be much better for off-road use.

KDSS is an active system using hydraulic force to counter the sway of the truck. It worked very well non the trucks I have had with it. (GX460). However, you are limited to the travel the hydraulic ram can move. The classic basic sway bar system on on non KDSS of the same model has more range of travel.

This SDM system is like Ford's on the 6G Broncos. It disconnects in the center, allowing the swaybar to move independently per side. Works great.

As someone who designs and builds sliders that bolt to the frame, I will NOT miss all those KDSS hydraulic lines and the pumps on the frame in the way of easily mounting proper frame-mounted sliders!

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I test drove a KDSS 5th gen back to back with a non-KDSS a couple years ago. There was a substantial difference on the road as others have written.

Don't know the take rate on them since it was a pretty expensive and seemingly rare option but if you're commuting in your 4R and hitting the trails on the weekends it might be a loss.

Dgk

First Name
Mig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner
I had a kdss 2016 4runner. It was a dream on road. Garbage offroad unless you are driving below 13 mph. Kdss activates above 13 mph and stiffens the body. The problem is fast driving offroading makes this a nightmare experience