Sponsored

March 28-29 - Intro to Off-Road and Recovery course at Palo Duro Canyon

First Name
Amy
Joined
Dec 30, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
15
Reaction score
12
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
Off-Road Premium

Mad Ghost

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Justin
Joined
Jan 31, 2025
Threads
34
Messages
484
Reaction score
493
Location
Wylie Texas
Vehicle(s)
4Runner ORP and Avalon
Thats exactly what I needed... I tried to run by myself in my ORP and only part way into the green trail it looked too complicated to do without a spotter. I spoke to a jeep who ran it solo and he told me how he kept banging his skid plates. Skid Plates I did not have yet. Sadly, I just did the rim trail real quick and went home instead of risking breaking anything. Please report back how it goes.
 
OP
OP
roadtripping_ridgebacks
First Name
Amy
Joined
Dec 30, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
15
Reaction score
12
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
Off-Road Premium
The class was so much fun! I learned a lot and built confidence in the 4Runner's capabilities. There were three 6th gen 4Runners (one TRD Pro and two ORPs), a Bronco, and a Tacoma, so we got a lot of Toyota-specific tips. The course instructor drives a 4Runner which was a nice perk. He was comfortable coaching all the drivers but it was nice knowing he really knew my car. Palo Duro Canyon is a stunning backdrop, too.

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen March 28-29 - Intro to Off-Road and Recovery course at Palo Duro Canyon IMG20260328170538

Learning how to use the downhill assist control system (also useful for going uphill)

2025 2026 4runner 6th gen March 28-29 - Intro to Off-Road and Recovery course at Palo Duro Canyon IMG_3878

Off-camber at around 35 degrees 😱

I posted a full write-up here: Intro to Off-Road and Vehicle Recovery

Later this week, the course instructor will post video on his YouTube channel of the group navigating obstacles - I am excited to see what it looks like from outside the car. There were many OMFG moments that I bet don't look so bad from the ground as it felt from inside!
Sponsored

 
 







Top