Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
LC is full time 4WD though....and yes I'm going to say it. Needs premium fuel. 91 or higher if I recall correctly. Considering the GX is the same, I sure as heck hope that is NOT the case for the 4 runner.
I believe the 4 Runner wants Premium fuel, but I never said it. Staying away from that debate.šŸ˜‰

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
The fact that they both have the same HP and TQ makes me worried the TRD Pro and Trailhunter with the hybrid powertrains will also be premium fuel only. Hoping that is not the case.
There is exactly zero reason for the exact same power train that runs on 87 in the Tacoma, with the same power ratings, to require a different fuel grade in the 4Runner or Landcruiser.

JIMIPRO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 4R V8, 24 4Runner TRD Pro, 67 Dodge R/T
There is exactly zero reason for the exact same power train that runs on 87 in the Tacoma, with the same power ratings, to require a different fuel grade in the 4Runner or Landcruiser.
The Land Cruiser / Tacoma IForce Max videos will be released on April 16th. We'll know for sure then.

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
I'd like to know if they're going to maintain the 23 Gallon fuel tank with the hybrid, since the battery is above the frame, in the passenger compartment. If it only has a 17 gallon tank, that would be a massive letdown. That's one major thing that steered me away from the Bronco. The much smaller fuel tank and the lousy mileage ratings. I'm currently getting almost a 500 mile range (real life, not estimated) with my F150 2.7L, with a 26 gal tank.

Fhb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRVs
For sure very confusing. If it was the same engine in Lexus vs Toyotaā€¦.we get it. But this is Toyota vs Toyota vs Toyota. Hopefully we can get answers next week during the Taco hybrid and LC reviews. If this in fact the way things will be, the Taco Hybrid ECM tune may be in high demand if 4R hybrid requires the premium fuel too.

Jucame63

First Name
Juan Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4runner Trd Off Road V6
Specs2025 Toyota 4Runner I-Force Max2024 Toyota Land Cruiser
EngineTurbocharged 2.4-Liter Four-Cylinder HybridTurbocharged 2.4-Liter Four-Cylinder Hybrid
Transmission8-Speed Automatic8-Speed Automatic
DrivetrainPart-Time or Full-Time 4WD With Two-Speed Transfer CasePart-Time or Full-Time 4WD With Two-Speed Transfer Case
Power326 HP / 465 lb-ft326 HP / 465 lb-ft
Towing6,000 Pounds6,000 Pounds
Wheelbase112.2 Inches112.2 Inches
Overall Length194.9 Inches193.8 Inches
Overall Width77.8 Inches77.9 Inches
Overall Height70.8 Inches76.1 Inches
Ground Clearance9.2 Inches8.0 Inches
Approach Angle3231
Departure Angle2422
Breakover AngleTBA25

2025 4Runner vs. Land Cruiser side by side comparison.jpg

Interiors 2025 4Runner vs. Land Cruiser side by side comparison.jpg
With such similar specs I cannot see any justification to spend +/- $10K extra to get a LC.
If the LC comes with the V6 then it would be worth it.
Getting an LC V6 instead of paying +/- 10K to get the same angine in the GX 550
At that point you are paying for luxury items.
I find toyota playing a tricky game with the price overlap vs engines.

Another thing I noticed on the hybrid version is the battery panel on the side of the rear cargo area.
Overlanding drawer systems will need to adapt some sort of access to the battery space compromising drawer cargo volume.

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
With such similar specs I cannot see any justification to spend +/- $10K extra to get a LC.
Getting an LC V6 instead of paying +/- 10K to get the same angine in the GX 550
At that point you are paying for luxury items.
I find toyota playing a tricky game with the price overlap vs engines.

Another thing I noticed on the hybrid version is the battery panel on the side of the rear cargo area.
Overlanding drawer systems will need to adapt some sort of access to the battery space compromising drawer cargo volume.
I donā€™t think there is a part-time 4 WD drive option in the LC trims.

Old Spice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X3 currently

If it ends up being a $10K difference, the cheaper 4Runner will eat significantly into Land Cruiser sales. You'd have to reallly prefer the LC's retro styling to justify paying that much more.

Jucame63

First Name
Juan Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4runner Trd Off Road V6
If it ends up being a $10K difference, the cheaper 4Runner will eat significantly into Land Cruiser sales. You'd have to reallly prefer the LC's retro styling to justify paying that much more.
And want a fultime 4 wheel drive.

Another aspect is the features offered on the 4R /LC compared to the GX 550
Toyota could not get the LC 300 to sell in the US so they added most of the offroad features to the GX 550
In other words, if you want the best offroad capabilities you have to pay for it in addition to the luxury features most of us do not care. You still pay $80,000 or you just pick water down offroad features betwen 4R and LC
Watch The following videos:

Not sure if ok to share links or not.
They are informative none the less.

The sway bar disconnect in the 4R and LC is not the same as in the GX 550
Can we justify paying a lot of money to get the electronic E-KDSS with the front and rear sway bar disconnect system as well as the automatic shock dampening system?

The way the marketing strategy by Toyota looks like, I may wait about 5 years before I even consider purchasing a new 4R
I'll have to wait to see what is changed, improved and added to the 4R and see how the reliability of the turbos works with larger tires.

I am also concern about the waterproofing of the hybrid system.
Water crossing are common offroading. There are many videos on YouTube about it.

I realy do not like the 2.4 4 cyl turbo and the hybrid version.

I did not buy a 4R for beautiful or fuel efficiency or engine power.
I bought it for its offroad capability and legendary relaibily. I have done modification for offroading and overlanding purposes.

I can add the Apex Kwiklynx swaybar disconnect and do a tuning to my 4R and save a ton of money.

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
This is why there are choices. I remember one of the LC forum members saying lead with your wallet.
Folks are buying the different models, trims out what not based on personal interests or needs.
Example, I have zero interest in a Lexus. For me, the value isnā€™t there. And I donā€™t care for the style.

Whereas to someone else, itā€™s the catā€™s meow.

Choices. Iā€™m glad we have them! šŸ˜†