- First Name
- Josiah
- Joined
- Jun 6, 2026
- Threads
- 2
- Messages
- 286
- Reaction score
- 145
- Location
- Maine, United States
- Vehicle(s)
- 2026 Trailhunter, 2018 Ram 2500, 2001 BMW M5, 2001 BMW X5 35d
- Thread starter
- #1
I noticed a fairly substantial open gap on the Trailhunter between where the lower front bumper terminates and where the skid plate begins. There are also large openings in the bumper itself. I'll attach some pictures showing exactly what I'm talking about.
My concern isn't really about rocks or direct impact protection. I live in an area that gets a lot of snow, and while I don't intend to deliberately plow the truck through every snowbank I come across, I know from experience that sometimes you simply have to push through accumulated or plowed snow. I've also seen on other vehicles how much snow and slush can get forced into openings underneath the front end.
Looking at the Trailhunter, it seems like that gap could allow a significant amount of snow, slush, road salt, mud, etc. to get driven into the cavity behind the bumper and above the skid plate. Once it's in there, the skid plate gives it somewhere to collect rather than simply dropping out the bottom. My concern is less about a small amount getting in there and more about repeated accumulation, especially wet snow/slush that could pack in, freeze solid, and potentially build up around the heat exchanger and other components behind the bumper.
Mud seems like essentially the same issue. Anything sufficiently fluid or mobile that gets pushed through that opening has an opportunity to collect in an area that isn't particularly easy to inspect or clean out.
I'm considering making some kind of simple closeout for the gap—possibly a semi-rigid piece attached to the bumper with a short flexible rubber lip that overlaps or rests against the skid plate. I wouldn't want to attach anything to the skid itself or interfere with skid-plate removal for service. I'm also not looking to block the two large openings higher in the bumper that are obviously there for airflow.
Before fabricating anything, though, I'm curious what other Trailhunter owners think. Has anyone who has driven through significant snow, slush or mud actually looked behind the bumper afterward to see how much material accumulates in this area? Has anyone already come up with a closeout or splash shield for this gap?
I'm not assuming it's necessarily going to become a problem; I'm trying to determine whether anyone has real-world experience with it before I decide whether it's worth addressing.
My concern isn't really about rocks or direct impact protection. I live in an area that gets a lot of snow, and while I don't intend to deliberately plow the truck through every snowbank I come across, I know from experience that sometimes you simply have to push through accumulated or plowed snow. I've also seen on other vehicles how much snow and slush can get forced into openings underneath the front end.
Looking at the Trailhunter, it seems like that gap could allow a significant amount of snow, slush, road salt, mud, etc. to get driven into the cavity behind the bumper and above the skid plate. Once it's in there, the skid plate gives it somewhere to collect rather than simply dropping out the bottom. My concern is less about a small amount getting in there and more about repeated accumulation, especially wet snow/slush that could pack in, freeze solid, and potentially build up around the heat exchanger and other components behind the bumper.
Mud seems like essentially the same issue. Anything sufficiently fluid or mobile that gets pushed through that opening has an opportunity to collect in an area that isn't particularly easy to inspect or clean out.
I'm considering making some kind of simple closeout for the gap—possibly a semi-rigid piece attached to the bumper with a short flexible rubber lip that overlaps or rests against the skid plate. I wouldn't want to attach anything to the skid itself or interfere with skid-plate removal for service. I'm also not looking to block the two large openings higher in the bumper that are obviously there for airflow.
Before fabricating anything, though, I'm curious what other Trailhunter owners think. Has anyone who has driven through significant snow, slush or mud actually looked behind the bumper afterward to see how much material accumulates in this area? Has anyone already come up with a closeout or splash shield for this gap?
I'm not assuming it's necessarily going to become a problem; I'm trying to determine whether anyone has real-world experience with it before I decide whether it's worth addressing.
Sponsored