Sponsored

How to register new TPMS sensors?

kzrman

Trailhunter
Well-known member
Joined
Apr 13, 2024
Threads
27
Messages
345
Reaction score
246
Location
Maine
Vehicle(s)
2025 Trailhunter
When people have changed to aftermarket tires and rims how have you gone about getting the new TPMS sensors registered?
Did you half to have the dealer do it or were you able to do it yourself? Thanks.
Sponsored

 

JR1

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Mar 15, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
252
Reaction score
196
Location
Missouri
Vehicle(s)
2008 SR5 2025 TRD Sport premium
You can actually have two sets. It's in the owner's manual.
 
OP
OP
kzrman

kzrman

Trailhunter
Well-known member
Joined
Apr 13, 2024
Threads
27
Messages
345
Reaction score
246
Location
Maine
Vehicle(s)
2025 Trailhunter
You can actually have two sets. It's in the owner's manual.
Thank you.
I wonder if you can still do it using a TPMS scan tool.
Of course if that's still possible it's probably going to take a while for the TPMS tools to be upgraded to talk to the trucks computer.
 

JR1

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Mar 15, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
252
Reaction score
196
Location
Missouri
Vehicle(s)
2008 SR5 2025 TRD Sport premium
Thank you.
I wonder if you can still do it using a TPMS scan tool.
Of course if that's still possible it's probably going to take a while for the TPMS tools to be upgraded to talk to the trucks computer.
If the fools who installed my wheels and tires could do it, I would assume that they used a scan tool. The way that they damaged my TRD skid plate, I know they weren't smart enough to use the truck's settings.
 
OP
OP
kzrman

kzrman

Trailhunter
Well-known member
Joined
Apr 13, 2024
Threads
27
Messages
345
Reaction score
246
Location
Maine
Vehicle(s)
2025 Trailhunter
If the fools who installed my wheels and tires could do it, I would assume that they used a scan tool. The way that they damaged my TRD skid plate, I know they weren't smart enough to use the truck's settings.
:mad: I'm sorry to hear that that happened to you!
I hope that you asked them to pay for a new skid plate.
 

Wooffy

TRD Off-Road Premium
Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Aug 4, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
20
Reaction score
19
Location
Abbotsford BC Canada
Vehicle(s)
2025 TRD OP
I installed new wheels and tires with new TPMS and after a week of driving the light came on. So I followed the “registering and new ID “ on page 549 in the owners manual but after 30 minutes of drive they don’t seem to register, anyone have any advice if you have completed this process before?
 

Odysseas

SR5
Member
First Name
Odysseas
Joined
Jul 1, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
24
Reaction score
13
Location
BC
Vehicle(s)
4runner
I installed new wheels and tires with new TPMS and after a week of driving the light came on. So I followed the “registering and new ID “ on page 549 in the owners manual but after 30 minutes of drive they don’t seem to register, anyone have any advice if you have completed this process before?
Hi I have the same problem .

Did you figured the way to fix the problem ?
 

127.0.0.1

SR5
Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
841
Reaction score
728
Location
earf
Vehicle(s)
a bunch of Toyotas
If OEM sensors then it can self learn a new set when instructed

If aftermarket they typically need to be programmed in with a tool
 

rallytime

SR5
Active member
Joined
Sep 3, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
27
Reaction score
28
Location
Vermont
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I had to is problem too. Especially because I do a five tire rotation. The first rotation my shop did it because I had them add the OEM TPMS at the same time. When they did it everything was registered fine.

However when I did the next rotation myself it didn’t work to “learn” the new placements. I tried everything and read the manual a hundred times. The normal way to register them doesn’t work. I tried for a few weeks hoping it would magically work (because everything online and in the manual makes it seem like it will “just work” and I was feeling pretty dumb about it). And I didn’t want to take it to the dealer as it’s almost an Hour one way.

I think it’s because I have an SR5 which doesn’t have the spare in the tpms display so maybe it loses track of the fifth one or something? No idea just guessing.

Finally I just tried the sequence to add a second set of tires. At first I thought that didn’t work either and drive around for a long time and it still had the error warning to take it to the dealer. The next morning though it finally resolved after driving like a mile on the way to work.

I am due for another rotation soon and I’m not sure if this trick will work again or not but I hope it does!
Sponsored

 
 







Top