4Runner Vs Land Cruiser Vs GX550 -- off-road ability?

retirementOwl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Using Tacoma from Tacomaworld.com
"TRD Pro is 75 inches wide, but then you have to add 3 more inches due to flared out wheel wells."

From the builder for overall width
1716393568286-gq.png

You can kind of see it in the front view of the site builder. I did a couple of screenshots. Top is TRD OF, bottom is TRD Pro.

1716393351769-v4.png
@stom_m3 pointed out that the extra width on the TRD Pro is from wheel offset. Nothing to do with different arms or geometry. I was really hoping Toyota would offer increased travel and larger tire options. There is huge demand for 35" tires on the Bronco via the Sasquatch package which is super popular. This even made Jeep add 35" upgrades on the Wrangler. It's ridiculous to be the TRD Off Road doesn't offer 33s. Anyway, I like the wider TRD Pro stance even it it's only offsets.

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
I'm sure they did a ROI on this. Between cost of storage, space and also interest. They may also file this in the category of: some replace their rims/tires post purchase, so why offer options?

Just for perspective: I'm not interested in a larger tire. I don't want the wider stance. I may get different rims, and at that time, get snow tires. So the starter tire option isn't a big concern for me. If it was offered, I'd actually say no thank you.

b407driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 4Runner Trail P KDSS
The 4Runner is more a more off-road focused vehicle than the GX550.

Ground clearance: TRD Off Road, TRD Pro and Trailhunter have 11.5" of ground clearance compared to 8.9" on the GX 500 Overtrail. Ground clearance is the #1 feature that makes a vehicle capable off road. This applies to crawling over rocks, driving in sand or mud or forging through water. 2.6" is a huge advantage 4Runner has over the GX500. Land cruiser has 8.7". I am basing this on the fact that the 24 Tacoma TRD Pro ground clearance went from 9.6" (23) to 11.5" (24). 4Runner should have similar jump. Even 9.6" relative to 8.9" is a big advantage.
I think this forum needs to get clear on the numbers being parroted online regarding clearance of the new generation Tacoma and 4Runner. Toyota has started floating 'Running Ground Clearance' (marketing speak) in reference to the 11.0" being quoted online for the new generations. This is not the same as the ~9" 'Ground Clearance' numbers that have been used over the years for Tacomas and 4Runners, so really they are apples and oranges. Not understanding the difference between them might lead the uninformed to believe these new models have 2" more clearance than the models they replace, when, in fact, they can actually have a bit less 'Ground Clearance' than previous models.

In regard to the GX550 Overtrail, you cannot directly compare Toyota's 'Running Ground Clearance' number, as Lexus uses the more traditional 'Ground Clearance'; the GX is indeed a bit less, but not as significant a difference as the above post would imply.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...arance-vs-old-9-4-of-ground-clearance.819016/