Manual conversion on 6th gen 4Runner (using Tacoma parts)

How long until the first manual conversion?

• 2 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 years

• 4 years

• Total voters

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
So how long does everyone think it'll take before someone uses Taco parts to convert a 4Runner to manual.

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
The manual transmission models have significant HP and Torque losses. I don't see any advantage to doing this.

OP
OP

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
The manual transmission models have significant HP and Torque losses. I don't see any advantage to doing this.
The advantage is obvious- it's a manual.

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have agreed with you about 10 years ago, after driving exclusively manual vehicles for about 20 years. After driving an F150 in 2015, I realized how wonderful it was to be able to just relax and drive.

Reactions: MJE
OP
OP

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
I want back in a manual, but not sure if I want a Bronco. Had one on order. I definitely don't want a Jeep. Had 2 already.

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My last manual was a 2013 Wrangler, which I absolutely hated. Not the vehicle, but the way it shifted. I only kept it for a little over two years before trading it for a lease on the 2015 F150. In contrast, it replaced a 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade which I kept for 10 years and had no desire to get rid of, except it was starting to nickle and dine me and was becoming more expensive every month than a new car payment. I traded it with the original clutch and 155,000+ miles. Out of all the vehicles that I've owned, that Liberty was my hands down favorite.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester and Ascent
I am kind of surprised they did not have a manual option for the 4Runner after they went to so much trouble to get a manual option in the Tacoma. However, the manual in the Tacoma was a product of the passion of the US design team. The 4Runner design team is in Japan and probably does not have that same passion.

If the manual sells well in the Tacoma, it is quite possible it will be brought to the 4Runner. Honestly though I consider it more likely that it sells poorly in the Tacoma and just gets dropped all together.

olefriend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supra A90
I am kind of surprised they did not have a manual option for the 4Runner after they went to so much trouble to get a manual option in the Tacoma. However, the manual in the Tacoma was a product of the passion of the US design team. The 4Runner design team is in Japan and probably does not have that same passion.

If the manual sells well in the Tacoma, it is quite possible it will be brought to the 4Runner. Honestly though I consider it more likely that it sells poorly in the Tacoma and just gets dropped all together.
Based on this video with the Toyota/4Runner engineer, the two vehicles were designed and engineered at same time by same engineers
https://www.4runner6g.com/forum/thr...s-tacoma-and-trd-pro-versus-trailhunter.1394/

Also, the 4Runner was designed in US by CALTY, not in Japan -- per this video:
https://www.4runner6g.com/forum/thr...-w-looks-at-platinum-trim-white-trd-pro.1389/

So that's probably not the reason.

I think the reason is probably that the historic take-rate for manual transmission between Tacoma and 4Runner buyers didn't make it compelling enough to offer it on the 4Runner (but does for the Tacoma). 🤷🏻‍♂️

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Just a guess, I suspect it'll be available somewhere in the world similar to diesel options (looking at LC).
Marking, demand, and regulations seem "dictate" the options per country.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester and Ascent
Based on this video with the Toyota/4Runner engineer, the two vehicles were designed and engineered at same time by same engineers
https://www.4runner6g.com/forum/thr...s-tacoma-and-trd-pro-versus-trailhunter.1394/

Also, the 4Runner was designed in US by CALTY, not in Japan -- per this video:
https://www.4runner6g.com/forum/thr...-w-looks-at-platinum-trim-white-trd-pro.1389/

So that's probably not the reason.

I think the reason is probably that the historic take-rate for manual transmission between Tacoma and 4Runner buyers didn't make it compelling enough to offer it on the 4Runner (but does for the Tacoma). 🤷🏻‍♂️
I've watched the first video already, but not the second. The impression I got from the first one and others was that there were two different design teams that worked together. However, I could absolutely be mistaken.

Knowing how engineering works, there are probably elements of truth to both. It probably just isn't black and white. Lots of different groups in lots of different places influencing the design.

All that said, your final statement makes the most sense. You are probably right that sales data is driving the decision.